• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Load of Cobblers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Load of Cobblers

The reason that the heels of a pair of leather boots I bought less than one year ago had started to disintegrate was, according to the cobbler who has just made a thoroughly professional job of fixing them, because they are made from MDF.

MDF?? Why would you make shoes out of MDF?

(I don't know if this is an urban myth - perhaps somebody can confirm - but the received wisdom back in the days I was in the CCF was that the DMS boots in which we pounded the parade ground were, in fact, made from compressed cardboard - something I never believed but after today's experience, nothing would surprise me)

By the way - all credit to my little back street cobbler - he was a proper wizened old man with half moon specs - a cobbler from central casting, if you like. He even offered me a chair and a cup of tea while I waited! Contrast this with any one of a number of high street chains purporting to do shoe repairs that wouldn't touch mine with a bargepole.

Where did you buy them from so we know who to avoid?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Where did you buy them from so we know who to avoid?
      Dune

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
        Dune
        That explains it. They need to be MDF to resist the desert heat and avoid attracting worms.

Comment

Working...
        X