• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Science Magazines

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Science Magazines

When I was in 6th form I used to read Scientific American and New Scientist as they had them in the library. I'd quite like to get back in the habit but in these modern days I wondered if I should be looking for a Kindle subscription, or if these are even the best magazines to go for.

Any recommendations? I'm interested in most areas of science really but I suppose a leaning to physics/chemistry.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    When I was in 6th form I used to read Scientific American and New Scientist as they had them in the library. I'd quite like to get back in the habit but in these modern days I wondered if I should be looking for a Kindle subscription, or if these are even the best magazines to go for.

Any recommendations? I'm interested in most areas of science really but I suppose a leaning to physics/chemistry.

I got bored with New Scientist over the years. As I no longer commute anywhere I no longer read magazines, though on a flight I used to pick up the Fortean Times. That unfortunately is no longer sold at Newsagents and is subscription only.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

All the "science" mags now are filled with "climate change" bollux, as that's the only "science" the selfie-stick generation believe in.

I wouldn't bother, those mags are utter tripe these days.

Comment

Ha, I was going to say "what about more specific magazines, like Physics Today"...

Volume 68, Issue 9, September 2015
        cover: Massive flooding hit much of Pakistan, including this area near the city of Multan, in the summer of 2010. The international scientific community has recently recognized increased flooding—whether from swollen rivers or rising sea levels—as a “very likely” impact of climate change. But the recognition of that climatic cause and effect, and many others, was slow to develop. For more on how researchers came to understand the consequences of climate change, turn to the article by Spencer Weart on page 46. (Photo courtesy of United Nations/Evan Schneider.)
        Not that I'm not interested in climate science but I don't want it to dominate - a balance of theoretical physics, materials science, climate, biology would be OK.

Comment

How about Psychic Today? Great magazine, when you ring up to put in the subscription they already know who you are.

Comment

Wikipedia
            I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
              Wikipedia
              I don't think they do a printed version. Plus wikipedia is only good if you know what it is you want to look up

Comment

Science - Latest Technology News and Pictures | Daily Mail Online

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I don't think they do a printed version. Plus wikipedia is only good if you know what it is you want to look up
                  Why isn't ContractorUk in Wikipedia? How would you describe it?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    As stated above, the climate bollox is to the fore these days, and Scientific American is but a shadow of its former glory. ...
                    WHS about Scientific American

IMHO the rot started setting in when Martin Gardner retired

New Scientist is still moreorless OK, although their leftie liberal stance can be rather trying. Also, the number of pages with actual content is steadily being reduced by adverts and those silly abstract art pictures that accompany every article.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X