• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Silicon Valley- The hottest market around?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silicon Valley- The hottest market around?

I'm presently hiring for three roles all based out of California in the Silicon Valley area.

They're not stand out roles. Project Manager, BI Manager, Tableau Developer. They're all roles I can do myself, I have experience in all of those of areas, and as a contractor regularly would apply for these.

In the US, most applicants are very specific. That's all they do, but I prefer people who have a broad range of experiences. I have always been proud and felt that UK contractors have those broad skills as well as sometimes specific experience that makes them worthwhile.

Contractors though are considered expensive!

The big difference between Europe and the US, specifically Silicon Valley is what people expect. In the US they expect a big pay rise everytime they move, Equity and a sense of 'entitlement' I've never seen in the UK. The market is so hot, you should be damn happy they want to work for you.

So far this week, I've been turned down by a middle manager for offering $145K + 15% bonus, plus $100K in shares over 4 years(they want at least to be 200K), a transfer for someone on $170K, + 20% bonus with an offer of a 10% salary increase for a PM just to manage2 people! and a US contractor on 150K a year with no benefits/health a 130k salary, 15% bonus and $100K in shares plus pensions and additional benefits

When I calculated the UK salary vs the Silicon Valley salary equivalent in pounds between the two, it was a 30% difference! That's before equity which was offered at another 30% as well.

The US Market is ridiculous compared to the UK / Europe. There are so many opportunities outside of the US, why do all companies base themselves in one area???
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Have you factored in how much housing costs in Silicon Valley as opposed to what we deem as expensive in the UK? I was shocked at the values/costs there (Palo Alto).
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

We considered making the move last year as most of my family live in Cali and az.

Anything commutable to Silicon Valley is crazy expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
        Have you factored in how much housing costs in Silicon Valley as opposed to what we deem as expensive in the UK? I was shocked at the values/costs there (Palo Alto).
        Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
        We considered making the move last year as most of my family live in Cali and az.

Anything commutable to Silicon Valley is crazy expensive.
        And that's the issue. Cost of living there versus the actual skills required. It's an odd regionalized bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          I'm presently hiring for three roles all based out of California in the Silicon Valley area.

They're not stand out roles. Project Manager, BI Manager, Tableau Developer. They're all roles I can do myself, I have experience in all of those of areas, and as a contractor regularly would apply for these.

In the US, most applicants are very specific. That's all they do, but I prefer people who have a broad range of experiences. I have always been proud and felt that UK contractors have those broad skills as well as sometimes specific experience that makes them worthwhile.

Contractors though are considered expensive!

The big difference between Europe and the US, specifically Silicon Valley is what people expect. In the US they expect a big pay rise everytime they move, Equity and a sense of 'entitlement' I've never seen in the UK. The market is so hot, you should be damn happy they want to work for you.

So far this week, I've been turned down by a middle manager for offering $145K + 15% bonus, plus $100K in shares over 4 years(they want at least to be 200K), a transfer for someone on $170K, + 20% bonus with an offer of a 10% salary increase for a PM just to manage2 people! and a US contractor on 150K a year with no benefits/health a 130k salary, 15% bonus and $100K in shares plus pensions and additional benefits

When I calculated the UK salary vs the Silicon Valley salary equivalent in pounds between the two, it was a 30% difference! That's before equity which was offered at another 30% as well.

The US Market is ridiculous compared to the UK / Europe. There are so many opportunities outside of the US, why do all companies base themselves in one area???
          That matches my experience in the valley as well - I have a cousin who works for Google is moving out from SF and down to LA as the real estate costs are so high in Mountain View and surrounding areas. It's not as cutthroat here in NYC with salary packages I have found from my limited experience here since the end of last year.

Incidentally if you're looking for a US based PM (contract, part time until Feb 2016 as I have existing work commitments and based in NYC area) then I'd be happy to help.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            There are so many opportunities outside of the US, why do all companies base themselves in one area???
            No there are not ! I take it you're an American or have rights to work there ? Silicon Valley has always been buzzing. It's the valley that makes I.T. I.T. makes the valley. Until you've actually lived and worked there - you just won't understand that California gives everything the 'buzz' to make it happen. And of course the stock options.

I just can't even begin to articulate the differences in mentality between there and here. Britain will never be able to compete with the go-go attitude of Cali. Never.

Jeez. I had a ROFL moment at the below comment about house prices. Ten years ago I managed DBAs earning $150K excluding benefits and they were complaining about the cost of million dollar Bay Area gaffs.

HaHaHa. That translated then to £500K London prices...... i.e. Stabsville no-go areas.

Can you get me a green card ? Please ? pretty please ??? I love Cali.....

Comment

What's US like for bobs? People say how hard it is to get a visa, doesn't that go the big Indian firms who have flooded the UK market with cheap labour and keeping the wages low?

I don't think it's a matter of high house prices driving up wages, more likely the other way round
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                What's US like for bobs? People say how hard it is to get a visa, doesn't that go the big Indian firms who have flooded the UK market with cheap labour and keeping the wages low?

I don't think it's a matter of high house prices driving up wages, more likely the other way round
                Silicon Valley is bob land. In Silicon Valley if they're part of a large firm they're going to be expensive. All three examples above are for Indians.
                In Sunnyvale almost half of the population are Asian.

When I advertise a role 7/10 applicants are Indian, 2/10 Other Nationalities (Chinese/Other), 1/10 US.

Effectively most have visas or green cards, and the Indians would call themselves 'US" in a lot of cases, but they've all been imported into the area. The high salaries and work drives them to this area. We have contractors that we pay $110 per hour, they're getting $75 per hour from the agent.

For then to convert they want equity, when they move they all want a pay rise of 10%. I have been told three times this week by candidates that I'm not offering enough in 'this market'.

Comment

What's East Palo Alto like these days? Still a no go area? Full of bro's and ho's with guns still?

When I worked in Menlo Park in the 90's, the traffic was mental, I'm guessing that's another factor about the "lifestyle".

Personally I thought the whole place was overhyped. Sure there's lots of work and some cutting edge stuff going on, but then we have Cambridge and the science parks if that's your thing.

If you want 80% asian, there's Luton.

Comment

Originally posted by zemoxyl View Post
                    I take it you're an American or have rights to work there ?
                    No, he is a Walter Mitty fantasy type character who lives in Swindon and runs his tat shop.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X