• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Choice of direct or through agent - is direct always best?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choice of direct or through agent - is direct always best?

Seen a role that is both via an agent or you can apply direct off the company recruitment site. This is a contractor role, long term (12months+)

My immediate reaction was to apply direct, but wonder now if via an agent might be a better option?

All things being equal (same rate/conditions) would you choose direct or agent?

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Direct is definitely on the PSL, so take the risk out of it.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

How confident are you they're going to pay you promptly? Because that's really the only benefit to having an agent.

I'm about to be a direct contractor. The others tell me the client always pays promptly at the end of every month, so hopefully there'll be no issues. Last time I was direct I had to involve solicitors.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        Direct is definitely on the PSL, so take the risk out of it.
        Thanks - you mean get on the registered suppliers list (ltd co)?

I'll look into it - thanks

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          How confident are you they're going to pay you promptly? Because that's really the only benefit to having an agent.

I'm about to be a direct contractor. The others tell me the client always pays promptly at the end of every month, so hopefully there'll be no issues. Last time I was direct I had to involve solicitors.
          Pretty confident they are solid.

Comment

Went back to somewhere direct, took 3.5 months to pay 1st invoice.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              Went back to somewhere direct, took 3.5 months to pay 1st invoice.

Holy tulip!

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                Thanks - you mean get on the registered suppliers list (ltd co)?

I'll look into it - thanks
                I mean, do you know if the agency is on ClientCo's psl? If you go direct, you avoid that risk but as Mark said, you may end up with adverse payment terms.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                  Holy tulip!
                  Yup.

I finally blew my top when all things had been set up correctly, then they loftily announced "we'll put it on next weeks payment run".

I said, no you won't, you will arrange a bank transfer to hit my bank TODAY!!!

Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 18 September 2015, 08:52.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Thats the risk with going direct. You need to get payment terms nailed down tight at the start and make sure to stay on top of them to get paid.

You are essentially at the mercy of their accounts department and if they've been told to delay payments to manage their cash flow you will suffer.

I worked with a client a few years a go that basically decided they were not going to pay any of their suppliers for three months because they needed to pad out their bottom line at year end.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X