• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DynDNS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DynDNS

They know how to charge, don't they? My two .co.uk names up for renewal. This year they want $60 each for hosting (the keeping of your DNS record on their servers), whereas it was $35 last year, and that was an increase IIRC. Well the worm has turned. After much research I am off to dtdns. Dyn can keep the registration service as its still competitive at $20/year.

TBH Dyn performance is good, but their pricing structure is labyrinthine and subject to constant fragmentation and huge increases. You buy what you thought was a simple service, and a year later it has turned into 7 different "products", each with a mysterious new name and its own handsome price tag.

Swap day might be painful but it will be worth it. Sorry for the rant.

Oh and I would just like to thank the DynDNS web engine for accidentally setting half of my "products" to "auto renew" at some point, seemingly of its own accord. I am sure that was just an oversight.

Comment

I've used them since they were dyndns.org and 'free', for dynamic DNS as well as static DNS. Over the years the free services have been gradually withdrawn/limited/replaced with fee-based structures. Agree about the pricing creep, never had a complaint about the service or support though. I've kept them for registration but now host the DNS on my own servers.

Comment

What irks me is the cumbersome web gui - I have to click everything to find what I need then I get a shed load of emails urging me to pay and subscribe to the things I'd looked that I don't have (or even want).

I might ditch them and roll my own on my colo box.....

Comment

I can happily recommend an old client of mine...dnsimple.com

I actually use Linode (I have a VPS) to manage my own DNS. I use the free ASUS dynamic DNS services with my router with a CNAME record setup on my normal domain pointing at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
            ...I've kept them for registration but now host the DNS on my own servers.
            Interesting. How did you do that? Make your own sever a bind server containing just your records? I like the sound of that. Pray enlarge.

Comment

I use afraid.org for the bits I need (mostly just the public aspects of my lab environment)

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                Interesting. How did you do that? Make your own sever a bind server containing just your records? I like the sound of that. Pray enlarge.
                The bit I don't get is how (in my case) can I replicate dynamically mapping my local ip at home where I have the odd server running. DnDNS have a client for it that's always running and actively remaps it.

Comment

Look at DuckDNS

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X