• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coming soon to your bank account - negative rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming soon to your bank account - negative rates

... strictly to protect the UK economy because people without massive debts are dangerous!!!

"The Bank of England may need to push its interest rates into negative territory to fight off the next recession, its chief economist has said.

Andy Haldane, one of the Bank’s nine interest rate setters, made the case for the "radical" option of supporting the economy with negative interest rates, and even suggested that cash could have to be abolished.

He said that the "the balance of risks to UK growth, and to UK inflation at the two-year horizon, is skewed squarely and significantly to the downside".

As a result, "there could be a need to loosen rather than tighten the monetary reins as a next step to support UK growth and return inflation to target".

Source: Negative interest rates could be necessary to protect UK economy, says Bank of England chief economist - Telegraph

What's next - negative pensions? "This month it's -1000 GBP in your pension pot, Sir"

How is that man still got a job?!?!?

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    ... strictly to protect the UK economy because people without massive debts are dangerous!!!

"The Bank of England may need to push its interest rates into negative territory to fight off the next recession, its chief economist has said.

Andy Haldane, one of the Bank’s nine interest rate setters, made the case for the "radical" option of supporting the economy with negative interest rates, and even suggested that cash could have to be abolished.

He said that the "the balance of risks to UK growth, and to UK inflation at the two-year horizon, is skewed squarely and significantly to the downside".

As a result, "there could be a need to loosen rather than tighten the monetary reins as a next step to support UK growth and return inflation to target".

Source: Negative interest rates could be necessary to protect UK economy, says Bank of England chief economist - Telegraph

What's next - negative pensions? "This month it's -1000 GBP in your pension pot, Sir"

How has that man still got a job?!?!?
    FTFY

Comment

Next logical steps really.

Charge people for having money and give this in the form of cheap credit to the debt slave voters.

Cheaper credit for the debtors, push up house prices.

Same old same old.

Comment

Yes please. Make it negative so my mortgage company pays me to have a mortgage, while in the meantime all my money is invested elsewhere on 5% fixed rates, Zopa and buy to lets.

I think it's a great idea.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Yes please. Make it negative so my mortgage company pays me to have a mortgage, while in the meantime all my money is invested elsewhere on 5% fixed rates, Zopa and buy to lets.

I think it's a great idea.
          I'm going to borrow a billion pounds and live off the interest.

Comment

Originally posted by The Butcher View Post
            FTFY
            In Russian it must be "How _is_ that man still got a job?"
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              I'm going to borrow a billion pounds and live off the interest.
              Lookin forward to my 5% bonds finishing in Feb.
              Really looking forward to those top notch 1.5% 5 year deals now.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

How is this even possible?

Accepting deposits into the royal bank of my sock drawer
                Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Andy Haldane spouts this utter tulip every few weeks, usually after hawkish comments from others on the MPC (e.g. Carney et al. at the Inflation Report this week). Expect something in a Sunday paper from Carney or someone else calling this out as tulip. I wish they'd all just STFU, as they're no better at forecasting a few months ahead than the rest of us.

Comment

It's a new paradigm.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/danish-l...tes-1423576590

Comment

Working...
                    X