• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whats a very good PDA to buy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats a very good PDA to buy

Hi,

to all the mobile related gadget fans out there.

i have never owned a PDA ...... before so working away from home now is a bit of a drag.

I am looking for a VERY GOOD PDA (or whatever).

cheers

css_jay99

As usual, it depends. I have a seperate PDA which also has Sat Nav on it (bought it from Halfords a couple of years ago). Never had a problem with it, but I'm going for a Smartphone soon so I only have one device. Look at the SE P990i or iPAQ 6390 if you prefer Windows Mobile. The iPAQ has built in GPS too, which is nice.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99
      Hi,

to all the mobile related gadget fans out there.

i have never owned a PDA ...... before so working away from home now is a bit of a drag.

I am looking for a VERY GOOD PDA (or whatever).

css_jay99
      I have a Sharp Zaurus C3200. It is more a laptop replacement than a PDA. It is based on Linux, has 6GB harddrive and a real keyboard (very small, though).

I am very happy with it!

Bought it here: http://www.figlabs.com/

Comment

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Pocket LOOX 720, VGA screen, 128 MB, Wi-Fi & Bluetooth & Infrared, SDIO card & Compact Flash, integrated camera & microphone. It doesn't use Windows Mobile 5.0 but it's a reliable workhorse. If you want something integrated phone & PDA look for the new Fujitsu T830.

hth
        The rest is silence...

Comment

I have a Palm Lifedrive. Maybe not the best on the maket but it does 4gb of storage so I can get all my PDF and MS documents that I require on it. It has everything I need, especiall Wi-Fi so it ain't too bad. I also have a Sony CLIE PEG-UX50 which I thought was pretty good but isn't so good as a PDA but does have lots of goodies such as Wi-Fi, keyboard, MP3, camera and uses Sony memory sticks so you can have a fair amount of memory on it.
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

A FiloFax, a decent mobile phone and a USB data stick.

God knows how many PDAs I've had over the years from the Apple Newton onwards.

Found them all impractical and useless after several months of determined effort to use each new gadget. Anyone who really has a lot to organise will use a laptop usually, and pen and paper and phone when travelling light.

PDAs == junk toys!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Agree - I've had 3x Palm, 2x SPVs, 1x XDA, 1x Treo, god knows how many shi77y Casio things and Z88's in the 80's. I eventually settled to using one of those nice diaries from paperchase, a kingston 512Mb flash and some Uniball gel pens
              Last edited by TheMonkey; 6 October 2006, 15:24.
              Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Imate Jasjar. 3G, WiFI, Quad Band, IE and Opera etc - loads of thrid party software, Windows Mobile 5, Pocket PC versions of word and excel, POP3 client, all sorts of GPS etc available, and with a £25 high power battery I only need to charge it twice a week, including making calls, 3G checking of email, web surfing etc.

Downside: if it goes wrong, you are knackered, as support is useless in the UK.

Often cheaper to just buy them for £300 or so, unlocked, often brand new, on eBay.

They are large. But smaller than carrying a PDA, phone and keyboard.

Plus points: Sheer functionality. Ability to use it as a GPS, video camera, video phone, comes with Skype installed (great as my local bar has free WiFi)... acts as MP3 player, Movie player and portable hard drive. It is also my alarm clock, portable web browser and email device (virtually anywhere). It happens to be a phone as well, and a good one.

http://www.expansys.com/zoompic.asp?...em&code=127031

Its sold, rebaged, by Vodafone, Orange, and O2. Imate produced the original O2 XDA, the XDAII, the Orange MDA2000, and several others.

The only thing they need to get right is : repairs / spares in the UK.
                Last edited by mcquiggd; 6 October 2006, 23:09.
                Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
                  Agree - I've had 3x Palm, 2x SPVs, 1x XDA, 1x Treo, god knows how many shi77y Casio things and Z88's in the 80's. I eventually settled to using one of those nice diaries from paperchase, a kingston 512Mb flash and some Uniball gel pens
                  Quite so.

I suppose I'm a visual thinker. I like to sketch out software designs (or anything else for that matter) and doodle around in the margins.

Doing this on a PDA is hell! You have to work the way the machine wants you to work - there is no alternative!

The screen is too small, it's far too fiddly, and you'll probably run out of memory (or battery power) and lose your doodle as the useless fecking thing locks up.

Spend £20 at Paperchase for some paper and pens, and maybe another £20 on a datastick and you're sorted!

PDA's - feck em

p.s My last PDA was a Palm Vx - which I eventually used for target practice with my nephew's air rifle - don't tell me you can't sync ever again - you fecking piece of tulipe

p.p.s.
                  If anyone shows up in a meeting using a PDA (especially the latest PDA) they are not to be taken seriously as they spend 66% of the meeting time posing with it (impressing nobody) and 33% trying to enter some basic information like phone numbers or URLs while sticking their tongues out and saying "errm... well I'll get that in a minute - hang on - oh feck! I've reset it now!". W@nkers.
                  Last edited by bogeyman; 7 October 2006, 17:05.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I don't need a PDA, I have a nubile secretary with me at all times.

Two actually.

threaded

Comment

Working...
                    X