• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freedom of Information Request for HMRC statistics on contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freedom of Information Request for HMRC statistics on contractors

HMRC have been throwing out a lot of figures lately surrounding the amount of money that contractors cost the Exchequer; as part of our submission on the T&S consultation I tried to find statistics that would either prove or disprove those figures. As I found diddly squat I decided to put in a FOI request:

"Historically, the number of contractors who work in the UK has been unknown with
    the ONS only being able to provide information under the wider heading of
    Temporary Workers.
    Now that the agency reporting requirements have come into force could you please
    confirm numbers of workers who are engaged through recruitment agencies and
    operating through 1. umbrella companies 2. single person Limited Companies
    (PSC's)."

I received this response this morning:

I understand your request to be for information submitted to HM Revenue and Customs
    (HMRC) using its Employment Intermediaries Return system.
    I can confirm that HMRC holds information that falls within the description specified in your
    request. However, we estimate that the cost of complying with your request would exceed
    the appropriate limit of £600. The appropriate limit is specified in regulations and for central
    government is set at £600. This represents the estimated cost of one person spending 3½
    working days determining if the department holds the information. This includes locating,
    retrieving and extracting the information. Under section 12(1) of the FOIA the department is
    not obliged to comply with your request and we will not be processing it further.

HMRC would normally explore with you how you might be able to narrow down your request
    so that it did not exceed the fees limit. However, in this case, I could not see any scope for
    doing this.
    The reason is that the computer capability to analyse the data in this way is still being
    developed as part of a project. HMRC’s project falls into two parts:
    - A capability to identify those who have not filed returns and to identify employment
    intermediaries who have not operated PAYE. This part of the project is the main
    purpose and priority.
    - A wider capacity to analyse and compare the data with other HMRC systems. This
    second part of the project would enable the number of these companies to be
    extracted.
    To accelerate the project to provide the data requested would exceed the FOIA costs limits.
    We are likely however to be able to provide this data in the future once the project is
    complete.
    If you are not happy with this reply you may request a review by writing to HMRC FOI Team,
    Room 1C/23, 100 Parliament Street London SWIA 2BQ or email
    [email protected]. You must request a review within 2 months of the date of this
    letter. It would assist our review if you set out which aspects of the reply concern you and
    why you are dissatisfied.
    If you are not content with the outcome of an internal review, you may apply directly to the
    Information Commissioner for a decision. The Information Commissioner will not usually
    consider a case unless you have exhausted the internal review procedure provided by
    HMRC. He can be contacted at The Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House,
    Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF

<sigh>
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Email Corbyn and see if he'll ask the questions during PMQ.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

HMRC are notorious for pulling the £600 limit - it seems they use that excuse for practically anything other than stuff they have already released.

Of course, if they can't produce this information for £600, it means they must have really crap systems / very stupid people.

However, HMRC consistently appear to be content to be considered stupid than release the information requested.

I think they justify the limit on the basis that they need a dozen people to vet the release of information, each of whom are on £50ph etc.

Comment

So, they are using numbers that they don't even have from a project that hasn't been completed to argue that legislation should be written.

Their numbers are half-baked and so are their legislative proposals. I think this response is actually to our benefit -- what could make it clearer that they aren't ready to make any proposals or ask us to provide suggested counter proposals? By their own admission they don't even understand the problem yet.

Comment

definitely put in an appeal - ridiculous they can be proposing the necessity for legislative change off numbers they can't justify

Comment

How piss poor are their systems if it would take 1 person 3.5 days to deliver that information.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
              HMRC have been throwing out a lot of figures lately surrounding the amount of money that contractors cost the Exchequer; as part of our submission on the T&S consultation I tried to find statistics that would either prove or disprove those figures. As I found diddly squat I decided to put in a FOI request:

"Historically, the number of contractors who work in the UK has been unknown with
              the ONS only being able to provide information under the wider heading of
              Temporary Workers.
              Now that the agency reporting requirements have come into force could you please
              confirm numbers of workers who are engaged through recruitment agencies and
              operating through 1. umbrella companies 2. single person Limited Companies
              (PSC's)."

I received this response this morning:

<HMRC Twatwaffle>
              Submit a request for a review on that basis that HMRC officials are quoting statistics that would have to have been based on this information, so it must be available in some form?
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Submit a request for a review on that basis that HMRC officials are quoting statistics that would have to have been based on this information, so it must be available in some form?
                This needs to be in the Press - yet another government department making up figures.

The traditional "right wing" press would be interested.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                  HMRC are notorious for pulling the £600 limit - it seems they use that excuse for practically anything other than stuff they have already released.

Of course, if they can't produce this information for £600, it means they must have really crap systems / very stupid people.

However, HMRC consistently appear to be content to be considered stupid than release the information requested.

I think they justify the limit on the basis that they need a dozen people to vet the release of information, each of whom are on £50ph etc.
                  Or are staffed by expensive contractors......
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    Exactly, the stats are already compiled if they are quoting them, so it should not take long at all.
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                    X