• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Straw right, sort of.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straw right, sort of.

Clearly the full veil is a sign of separateness.

So is Passover.

Funny, I dont ever remember not being able to see a persons face because of pass over

Mailman

Comment

Agree with Mailman. There's a qualitative difference between believing something privately and shoving that belief in someone's face - look at me, I'm different.
      Have to say though, playing guess the hottie based on eyes alone can be quite erotic. SOme of those eyes can be VERY expressive.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

You don't look at the mantlepiece while poking the fire do ya?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
          Agree with Mailman. There's a qualitative difference between believing something privately and shoving that belief in someone's face - look at me, I'm different.
          Have to say though, playing guess the hottie based on eyes alone can be quite erotic. SOme of those eyes can be VERY expressive.
          Disagree. Passover is a difference: observant Jews will not eat with you during Passover. It is designed to keep them separate. If you don't really know many observant Jews then you might not notice, of course, but that doesn't alter the point that it is made to perpetuate separateness.

Mailman's comment is inane because it quite ignored what I said; but I'll answer it anyway: I have indeed noticed not being able to see people's faces because of Passover, because they stay home. Don't even know what I'm talking about I suppose.
          Last edited by expat; 6 October 2006, 15:19.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
            playing guess the hottie based on eyes alone can be quite erotic. SOme of those eyes can be VERY expressive.
            I suppose that's why being able to do the "liquid eyes" is an important talent for the men who play hot chicks in Japanese Theatre. I'll leave hot eyes to you, thanks.

Comment

Let them wear what they want FFS! We trumpet on in this country about freedom of speech and expression then get all defensive when a certain minority do just that. So Jack Straw feels uncomfortable speaking to someone when he can't see their face? I take it he doesn't have a fecking phone then!!
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                Disagree. Passover is a difference: observant Jews will not eat with you during Passover. It is designed to keep them separate. If you don't really know many observant Jews then you might not notice, of course, but that doesn't alter the point that it is made to perpetuate separateness.

Mailman's comment is inane because it quite ignored what I said; but I'll answer it anyway: I have noticed not being able to see people's faces becaise of Passover, because they stay home. Don't even know what I'm talking about I suppose.
                Ok didn't know that about passover - the one or two Jews I know are non-observant as are the Muslims. Don't think I'd want to know anyone religious - I like to keep myself separate from them
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

This isn't the politics of the market stall here sb. There is more to life than a pound of sprouts and a bucket of p*g tulip. The intellectual elite have to tackle complex issues with many competing yet highly persuasive arguments. It is best to leave this sort of debate to people like me and other political heavyweights. Best you concentrate your energy on your turnips.

Comment

"It is designed to keep them separate"

I thought that it was all about contaminatoin of food and knives, forks etc.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X