• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Like buses...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like buses...

You wait ages for one to turn up and then you get three all together. HMRC have launched another discussion paper on T&S but for the world at large, not just contractors https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...scussion-paper
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Are you going to set up a survey for this?

I'm worried about having my words twisted.

The issue with lunch time expenses cones down to whether the work place entails an over night stay.

In other words I don't bother to claim if I can bring in my own lunch but if I can't because I'm staying away then I claim.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Don't know - I've got to read it first My working hours are currently being spent putting together the IR35 consultation response.

Lunch has always been a bit of an issue - my thought has always been that it shouldn't be allowable under any circumstances. There is no real additional significant cost between making a sandwich and buying a sandwich; an evening meal is different - if you're staying away from home, the cost difference could be quite large.
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I notice it refers to SD or C rather than SD and C...
        Join IPSE

Comment

i think this is good and useful - thread title should be renamed to something more "read me!"

Comment

This isn't like buses. You WANT buses to come.

Comment

just read through it now, if anything it's proved that claiming lunch while claiming "temporary workplace" travel is completely fine (under the current rules) - I'd been advised by my accountant not to

Comment

Here's another one for you.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                  You wait ages for one to turn up and then you get three all together. HMRC have launched another discussion paper on T&S but for the world at large, not just contractors https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...scussion-paper
                  Thanks.
                  I just skimmed though this. Why are they insistent on using words such as 'employee', 'employer', even in relation to the 'IT Contractor'? And I didn't see any example which related to anyone who was working as a Ltd Co, whose business operated from home (as we all do I think). Did I miss it, or have they totally missed it?
                  Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                    Thanks.
                    I just skimmed though this. Why are they insistent on using words such as 'employee', 'employer', even in relation to the 'IT Contractor'? And I didn't see any example which related to anyone who was working as a Ltd Co, whose business operated from home (as we all do I think). Did I miss it, or have they totally missed it?
                    this paper seems based on the handling of travel/subsistence claims for employees of big companies ("The OTS published their second report on the review of employee benefits and expenses in January 2014, and made several recommendations for simplifying the rules and removing employers’ administrative burdens.")

the first consultation was aimed at typical small LtdCo contractors ("This consultation sets out the government’s proposals for amending the rules for tax relief on travel and subsistence for those working through employment intermediaries.)

the "IT contractor" they describe sounds like BigCo employee (eg accenture) who is contracted out to clients

Comment

Working...
                    X