• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One for the Rugger Buggers!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One for the Rugger Buggers!!

As most of the egg-chasing fraternity will be aware, Japan defeated South Africa last saturday by 34-32. I believe that South Africa scored only 4 tries in this defeat.
    By what convoluted extrapolation of logic can the Springboks be eligible to be awarded 2 bonus points for losing when most of the teams that have won their matches by comfortable margins get awarded no more than 1 bonus point?
    Defies logic................

Can someone explain??

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    As most of the egg-chasing fraternity will be aware, Japan defeated South Africa last saturday by 34-32. I believe that South Africa scored only 4 tries in this defeat.
    By what convoluted extrapolation of logic can the Springboks be eligible to be awarded 2 bonus points for losing when most of the teams that have won their matches by comfortable margins get awarded no more than 1 bonus point?

Can someone explain??

It is too sophisticated a game for some thick Jocko to understand
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      It is too sophisticated a game for some thick Jocko to understand
      So you don't know then. Fair enough.
      Anyone else?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Researched it myself.

4 points for a win. 2 points for a draw. 1 "bonus" point for scoring 4 tries (or more). 1 "bonus" point for losing by 7 points (or fewer).
        Bizarre. Almost as strange as the shape of the ball.

Comment

It does seem weird. My understanding is the point of this is:

a)Promote teams scoring tries not just kicking it all the damn time
          b)Promote the losing team not giving in / force the winning team not to take it easy

If it leads to close, tooth & nail games then great. It'll be curious to see how these rules affect the group standings compared to a more traditional scoring scheme.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            It does seem weird. My understanding is the point of this is:

a)Promote teams scoring tries not just kicking it all the damn time
            b)Promote the losing team not giving in / force the winning team not to take it easy

If it leads to close, tooth & nail games then great. It'll be curious to see how these rules affect the group standings compared to a more traditional scoring scheme.
            Interesting giving points for exciting play. Good idea in my book.

Made the England game more interesting too.

Comment

Bump?

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

Can someone explain??

The losing team gets a bonus point if they are beaten by 'a converted try' or less. I.e. 7 or fewer points difference.
                Score four tries or more and you get a try bonus point win or lose.

However the remnant of the 1950s called the 'Six Nations' does not use this system. Fortunately the World Cup does.
                There's a Scotland match this afternoon at 14:30 which may enlighten you.

Comment

Originally posted by zemoxyl View Post
                  The losing team gets a bonus point if they are beaten by 'a converted try' or less. I.e. 7 or fewer points difference.
                  Score four tries or more and you get a try bonus point win or lose.

However the remnant of the 1950s called the 'Six Nations' does not use this system. Fortunately the World Cup does.
                  I think the England supporters will be too busy sobbing into their beer to bother watching that one
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by zemoxyl View Post
                    No need to worry. I had sussed it out beforehand by consulting my friend WIKI.

I must say this whole Rugby World Cup thingy has really captured the imagination. One slight drawback is the slightly predictable nature of most of the overall results.
                    Despite plucky and game performances by minnows Japan (v South Africa), and England (v Wales), most outcomes have followed the form books.
                    Still, all to play for so pip pip!!

PS Just been offered on ebay a slightly buckled chariot wheel. Apparently it fell off someone's vehicle in West London yesterday evening. Any takers? DA?

Comment

Working...
                    X