• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Repeated background check costs ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repeated background check costs ...

Have you ever counted the cost of waiting weeks for the same old background check to be repeated?
    Contracting 20 years, average 2-3 weeks delay x number of jobs x daily rate x number of contractors = ????
    Personal loss? Loss of GDP, project budget, cost of checks. It must be billions.

Why cannot a set of checks be valid for a given time? Why cannot there be 1 agreed set of data in XML format from which all their bleeding forms can be filled? Why not a validated record of previous addresses, job dates, credit check periods that do not need to be repeated over the 6 year period now demanded by many agencies?
    This last experience of mine is 8 weeks lost pay so far and counting. And don't even get me started about accounting for times between contracts... prove you were doing nothing ... painting the shutters ... Can you prove that ... Have us sign a declaration and believe us ... don't imply we are all bloody liars ... Jeeeee...... how did we ever let them start this crap?
    I have done a lot of contracts since 1994 and I am totally fed up with the wasted time and lost money. Tot it up. It could run to several hundred thousand that you lose over a career.
    Is anything being done to tackle this? Surely there could be one clearing house of contractors background checks so starting in 3 days becomes the norm.
    Rant over ... for today ; >)
    OK I can hear you say ... stop complaining and do something about it. Start a central clearing function ... OK let's do it.
    Requirements:
    Certified passport/Visa copy
    Cert of Incorporation
    VAT Certificate
    Professional Insurance
    Last 6 years jobs, dates, confirmations
    Last 6 years addresses, certified
    Last 6 years credit check, certified
    Criminal record check, valid for 12M
    Proof of activity idle periods > 3M

Blockers:
    No agreed format
    No agreed central database
    Security
    No agreement to use it.

Precedents:
    Security clearances have a valid period

All constructive suggestions welcome…

Similar thing happens in housing rentals, a couple I know had to pay £50 for some 'checks', I'm sure they said per application (and per agent no doubt) just to apply to rent a poxy house.

Just another way they can screw money out of people.
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Working...
    X