• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountancy for non-trading company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accountancy for non-trading company

Hi,

I am the director of a limited company which was trading before but has not been trading for a while. I am thinking of switching to an accountant who can offer lesser fees when I am not contracting.
    So far, I have seen 2 accountancy services which are Sunny Accountancy Services Limited And Cheap Accounting. Both of these offer a fixed price of £249 annually if turnover is less than £10k.
    Has anyone been with these accountancy's or do you have any other recommendations? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Every accountant I've spoken to and many of the ones that post on here all reduce their fee's if the company is non trading. They have very little to do but want to keep your business so it makes very good sense.

And I am sure they are ok but going with a company called 'Cheap Accounting'? I'll pass thank you very much...
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by coolwind View Post
      Hi,

I am the director of a limited company which was trading before but has not been trading for a while. I am thinking of switching to an accountant who can offer lesser fees when I am not contracting.
      So far, I have seen 2 accountancy services which are Sunny Accountancy Services Limited And Cheap Accounting. Both of these offer a fixed price of £249 annually if turnover is less than £10k.
      Has anyone been with these accountancy's or do you have any other recommendations? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Hi Coolwind

Have you asked your accountant if they can reduce the fees down whilst you aren't trading? We for example don't advertise a reduced fee but will happily agree this in most circumstances and normally voluntarily suggest it to clients who are stopping trading for long periods of time.

Personally, I hate the idea of quoting fees based on turnover. It doesn't take much difference (time wise) to do a set of accounts with £50k turnover compared to a £500k turnover assuming both businesses are in a similar line of work.

I tell you what though, £99+VAT to file a set of accounts if you use Freeagent, now that is cheap! Surely something doesn't seem right there.....

I'd be more interested in making sure your accountant has the right qualifications to do the job properly and that you can build a long term relationship with them that you can trust.

Martin
      Contratax Ltd

Comment

I wish I thought of this when I was out of a contract 2 years ago for 5 months.....

Comment

Working...
        X