• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting, a mistake anyone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting, a mistake anyone?

It might sound a daft question to some or even most of you, but it's a serious one really. Do any of you regret taking contracting as a way of life (i.e. instead of the permie option)? I'm really interested in your thoughts.

Thanks.

I regret not doing it sooner.

I do sometimes feel like I'm just earning money to keep going a bit longer without any kind of goals or direction or long term plans. I always wanted it to be a springboard to setting up a "proper" business, but I've been doing it for a year and don't seem any closer to that.

So maybe that's a negative, but then if you can earn more than you need then that gives you options that you might never have as a permie.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

No

I can see how it could be a mistake for many people though. So long as you have the skills to compete in the market place and you are prepared not to freak out when you get to spend some time on the bench then there is no better way to work.

Back in the late nineties - and I can see its starting to turn that way again, it became very easy to get a contract or two without any depth to your skills, but those people found life very tough when there was a downturn.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback; as you can probably deduce, I'm a newbie and was just wondering what everyone elses thoughts and experiences are. I'm going to try contracting (I've just signed my first contract) and see how I get on, I think it's for me but as I've been a permie for so long I just have a few worries!

Comment

Upsides:

Money.
          Choice on how to spend the money: i.e. do what you want with pensions etc.
          Not having to be part of HR crap, apprasils, company politics etc.
          Honesty: I find I feel good about being paid just for what I do, rather than the typical permie attitude of not really caring as they know they're going to keep being paid rergardless.

Downsides:
          Expensive holidays: i.e. no paid time off. Last year was my most expensive christmas ever as I had to take a week off. It changes the way you think about time off, and there's always the pressure to just keep working.
          Travelling: So far I've ended up doing monster commutes, but a lot of people just stay away all the time or move around a lot. It's not always worth moving for a temporary job.
          Regularly looking for work: wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for having to deal with agents.

There's the uncertainty aspect, but that's not really a downside as that's just part of the risk that you have to take into account and why we're generally paid more. Permies tend to think they're secure as they're generally naive about business and the way it works, but nobody is secure if there's no work to be done. You're much better off knowing you're temporary, being paid more accordingly, and being able to plan for when you need to next look for work.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

"I regret not doing it sooner" - Never a truer word.

Career progression paths(or lack of them) is the only downside. And to be honest, not sure how many 40+ 'techies' there are around among us as I would imagine that moves in to PM or Consultancy are probably the way forward.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

No regrets

You only regret something you haven't done, so even if you don't succeed and go back to another permie job (which is what most permies seem to do these days, ie running back to safety when the going gets tough) at least you will have benefited from the extra money and hopefully you will see things differently and if another permie slags off contractors, hopefully you will put him in his place having been there. Most of the posters on this board are die-hard contractors that will rather starve than go back or even start a permie job. As far as I am concerned, I never say never. If the right opportunity comes along, I might take it. I have been on the treadmill for nearly 10 years and most of those have been good ones, but contracting is definitely not for the faint-hearted. If someone starts with a 3-m and after that is on the bench for a few months before he gets another 3 or even 6-m, the glamour begins to wear off. If your 1st contract lasts for say 12-m, then at least you are off to a good start. The thing to remember is that you take the money with the risk (and vv)

Comment

Soon to be 14 years as a contractor 1 bad spell of 3 months on the bench during that time - & certainly no regrets for the lifestyle it's funded.

I can't help feeling sorry for those just getting into it, you are under attack from this government and the home market is being flooded with cheep as chips indians.
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

You have to have a plan B. Plan B I tell ya.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Its the way to go if you are a young programmer. by "young" I mean under 40. When you get to 40 even permanent jobs become hard to find - just read the letters in Computing - and so it may be best to switch to perm by then.

One downside is you will have to fork out for your own training and convince clients you can do the work with little or no experience in that area. The upside is that you at least get training you want!

After you've got yourself to Senior business analyst level (or higher) - go back to consulting...you'll have a niche and do well.

Well that's my plan anyway.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X