• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buy to let tenants in common ownership and tax implications

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy to let tenants in common ownership and tax implications

Hello, my wife and myself are currently considering to buy a property for buy to let purposes.
    Is it possible to have unequal split of ownership under tenants in common (say 90% ownership to her), whilst it is me that is making the monthly mortgage payments?
    She is not working whilst I have a full-time job.
    What are the tax implications based off the rental income in this case? Will the taxable income be considered split equally or unequally in this case (what ratio?)

Thanks.

Look at Form 17 : "Declaration of beneficial interests in joint property income", which you can file with HMRC. Best to do this when you put the property up for rent or soon as possible thereafter.

Speak to an accountant who is educated in property investment matters. I can recommend one but I'd rather you found one you vet and are happy with yourself.

Comment

Working...
    X