• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poor restaurant service story

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor restaurant service story

I popped out this evening to get a bite to eat from said crappy hotel I happen to be staying at.

I choose a restaurant that had about six tables full out of about 15. It was around 8.15 and I could see at least five staff.

Firstly I walked in and wasn't greeted. I stood for a few minutes, before eventually I was clocked and got to choose a table. A bit of banter with the waitress as I sat down and I got the menu.

And that was about it. I waited. And waited. A couple of staff cleared some tables. I was texting a friend but yet still no server. I tried to get someone's eyeline. Now only three tables left. One server sat at the bar, back to me. Then another, then the next until all five were chatting away. I texted my friend that the service was tulipe.

Should I get up? I was too far away to shout and one busy table was left. Feck it, I'm not getting up.

I then googled the number of the restaurant and rang it. I'd now been sat for 15 minutes.

'Hi I'm the chap on the front table can I get a server?' She the approached the five servers who all turned looking in my direction. But still no one came. I then waved at them. No one came until one person eventually came over sheepishly. 'Did you want to order with a weak apology'

I then found that my first dish they had run out of, then the second and then two wines I ordered.

Feck it. I got up and left. A weak sorry from the greeter.

So that's a terrible I will be leaving on Tripadvisor later. Any good comments I should leave?

What's your worst restaurant service?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

I went into MaccyD's the other day - queued for ages, the fries were cold and they'd run out of apple pies. They also put 3 gherkins in my BigMac, which meant I accidentally bit one as I'd only removed the statutory two.

Comment

This is what I've posted on TripAdvisor. It's still pending, but I'm confident.

"I have no idea what the food is like at Rosy's. I failed to get the far.
      I arrived this evening to see what looked like a good local restaurant. There were at least 5 waiting staff on, a couple of largish groups (family) and about 3-4 other tables. As it was past 8, service was finishing and the restaurant was about 30-40% busy.

I wandered in, looking around for a greeter or waiter and stood near the bar for a few minutes before someone came over. I took a table near the window and had a joke with waitress about some crayons at the table and was given a menu.

And that was it. That was it.

I made a choice a few minutes after arriving. And then texting a friend, waited. And waited, and waited. Someone came over to the table nearby with some food to takeaway, but did not come over, nor could I catch any server. That was because they were at the bar.

One sat down, then another sat next to them, then a third came over to chat. There were only a few tables left, and so I waited, looking over, but as all I could see were their backs this was going to be a challenge. They were engrossed in something. Could it be that they were discussing Tolstoy? A complex free-energy equation that one of them had scribbled on the back of a placemat that would solve the Worldwide energy crisis & hunger, or whether if Donald Trump became President then there would be free toupee's for all. I can only wonder.

Normally when this occurs after ten minutes, I will get up and walk over, but in this case thought stuff it and texted my friend telling them the service was poor and I was going to ring the restaurant up at this rate.

Five minutes after that I actually did. I checked the internet, got the number and rang the restaurant, the phone rang and someone picked it up. I then said I was the table in the corner, could I please have a server!

This did not have the immediate effect I expected. Instead the person who picked up the phone walked over to the group sitting, they all looked over. I'd obviously spoilt their book club meeting.I waved, they still looked and turned back around. This was not the call to action I had expected. Eventually a waiter was despatched, probably the one who'd pulled the short straw or who'd called scissors when the others called rock. There was a weak 'Sorry. Are you ready?'
      Brilliant deduction Sherlock, Miss Marple has nothing on this one.

I'd like the Special Wine you have advertised please? 'No we've run out'.
      Ok. I'd like the grilled Salmon Please? No we don't have that either.

I'll never know what other delights this crack A-team had in store for me as after 15 minutes and a menu which selecting from was going to be like a game of Jeopardy. I got up and left. A weak 'sorry' from someone on the way out.

As a Brit I'm used to poor service, we're quite proud about how our service industry is one of the worst in the world, which is why we hire foreigners to do it. If anyone at Rosy's at the Beach wants a job in London, you're definitely qualified."

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        I popped out this evening to get a bite to eat from said crappy hotel I happen to be staying at.

I choose a restaurant that had about six tables full out of about 15. It was around 8.15 and I could see at least five staff.

Firstly I walked in and wasn't greeted. I stood for a few minutes, before eventually I was clocked and got to choose a table. A bit of banter with the waitress as I sat down and I got the menu.

And that was about it. I waited. And waited. A couple of staff cleared some tables. I was texting a friend but yet still no server. I tried to get someone's eyeline. Now only three tables left. One server sat at the bar, back to me. Then another, then the next until all five were chatting away. I texted my friend that the service was tulipe.

Should I get up? I was too far away to shout and one busy table was left. Feck it, I'm not getting up.

I then googled the number of the restaurant and rang it. I'd now been sat for 15 minutes.

'Hi I'm the chap on the front table can I get a server?' She the approached the five servers who all turned looking in my direction. But still no one came. I then waved at them. No one came until one person eventually came over sheepishly. 'Did you want to order with a weak apology'

I then found that my first dish they had run out of, then the second and then two wines I ordered.

Feck it. I got up and left. A weak sorry from the greeter.

So that's a terrible I will be leaving on Tripadvisor later. Any good comments I should leave?

What's your worst restaurant service?
        Did they ask whether you had been to a Nandos before to make sure you knew how the 'get off your arse and order at the till' service works

Comment

You obviously looked like you didn't need feeding. By American standards, that's large.

HTH
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            You obviously looked like you didn't need feeding. By American standards, that's large.

HTH
            Listen here you slack jawed, undependable, sickly, underemployed, grizzling wastrel.

I was up at 6.30am this morning. I walked/jogged for an hour and a half along a long white Californian beach, before coming back, having breakfast, then hitting the pool, hot tub and finally the gym for 30 minutes of high impact weights, then drove 6 hours for 350 miles along the coast road, before getting out and hiking two hours around Big Sur before another 100 miles to my final destination two hours later, where I did 20 minutes of stretches and a 3 minute plank before setting into town for a fricking Salmon & Rice meal which failed to be conjured up by some obvious American relation of yourself and Shaunbhoy.

I've now wasted all that by having a takeaway pizza and a bottle of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Listen here you slack jawed, undependable, sickly, underemployed, grizzling wastrel.

I was up at 6.30am this morning. I walked/jogged for an hour and a half along a long white Californian beach, before coming back, having breakfast, then hitting the pool, hot tub and finally the gym for 30 minutes of high impact weights, then drove 6 hours for 350 miles along the coast road, before getting out and hiking two hours around Big Sur before another 100 miles to my final destination two hours later, where I did 20 minutes of stretches and a 3 minute plank before setting into town for a fricking Salmon & Rice meal which failed to be conjured up by some obvious American relation of yourself and Shaunbhoy.
              And then the phone alarm rang at 9 am

Comment

Do you also do Trip advisor reviews on UK sites?

If so Bill Bryson has some words for you
                Growing old is mandatory
                Growing up is optional

Comment

I went to a new restaurant in Cardiff once. Mrs had steak well done. Had to sent it back three times because it had blood pouring out of it.

Then the manager came over and said there was no way to cook steak without blood in it. WTF. He said they had michelin starred chefs and they knew how to cook steak and I obviously didn't. Nearly exploded.

I remember putting a review on tripadvisor about that one. And the £10 voucher they offered me.

It was funny as well. There were 3 or 4 glowing reviews on tripadvisor for this restaurant but the people had used real games. A quick google/check on linked in - one was the restaurant manager, one a chef, one the marketing manager for the owner of the restaurant. All glowing reviews making out they were members of the public.

Had some fun with that one. In the end they blocked me on twitter and facebook.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    I went to a new restaurant in Cardiff once. Mrs had steak well done.
                    Which one?

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    it had blood pouring out of it.
                    Are you sure the Mrs did not ask for it to be cooked blue?

Comment

Working...
                    X