• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why is a quad bike called a quad bike

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is a quad bike called a quad bike

Is it because it is designed for 4 people?

Four killed in West Yorkshire quad bike collision with car - BBC News

Mr Holmes said they were also keen to speak to anyone who saw an unregistered quad bike being ridden around the Hemsworth area on Saturday evening.
    Lets hope the chap had a dash cam.

If its like the chap's with racing trap's round here they pull out in front of you.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Remarkable.

So 4 people riding an unlicensed quad bike designed for one person are killed & the car driver is arrested.

Our policepersons are wonderful.
      We don't know the full story yet. And whatever it is the result is a tragedy of 4 young lives lost and two changed for ever.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Remarkable.

So 4 people riding an unlicensed quad bike designed for one person are killed & the car driver is arrested.

Our policepersons are wonderful.

A bit like the unfortunate driver who was taken to court for killing a cyclist riding the wrong way up a one way street in the dark without any lights and wearing black clothing.

Oddly, the driver got found not guilty of anything.
        +1 Quad bikes are a dangerous nuisance and should be banned from public roads.

Comment

I think that there was a strong hint that the car may have been racing with the Quad bike, which may change things slightly.
          I get up...

Comment

Originally posted by ClothCap View Post
            I think that there was a strong hint that the car may have been racing with the Quad bike, which may change things slightly.
            Indeed - not wishing to be overly prejudiced here, but a 21 and 22 year old in a 300bhp car past midnight? I'm going to go right out on a limb here and suggest that they may not have been entirely behaving themselves.

Not that I feel particularly sorry for the idiots on the quad-bike either.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              Indeed - not wishing to be overly prejudiced here, but a 21 and 22 year old in a 300bhp car past midnight? I'm going to go right out on a limb here and suggest that they may not have been entirely behaving themselves.

Not that I feel particularly sorry for the idiots on the quad-bike either.
              There may have been 4 people on a quad bike but does it mean that they were actually driving dangerously?. it is amazing how the swivel eyed judgemental immediately jump to conclusions without seeing any evidence
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                There may have been 4 people on a quad bike but does it mean that they were actually driving dangerously?. it is amazing how the swivel eyed judgemental immediately jump to conclusions without seeing any evidence
                I'm not quite sure what you're saying, but I was talking about the car?

Anyway, with regards to the quadbike - it's near enough outright stated that the quad bike itself was unregistered. And, unless it was a somewhat rare 4 seater quadbike (Which I've literally never seen on a road and probably would be better described for witnesses - as they tend to have a roof etc), it's almost certainly going to have been overloaded. Given that quad bikes are inherently unstable (They're great fun, but are genuinely dangerous) then the fact it was being ridden at all puts them into a dangerous category.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  I'm not quite sure what you're saying, but I was talking about the car?

Anyway, with regards to the quadbike - it's near enough outright stated that the quad bike itself was unregistered. And, unless it was a somewhat rare 4 seater quadbike (Which I've literally never seen on a road and probably would be better described for witnesses - as they tend to have a roof etc), it's almost certainly going to have been overloaded. Given that quad bikes are inherently unstable (They're great fun, but are genuinely dangerous) then the fact it was being ridden at all puts them into a dangerous category.
                  So the riders even if they were pootling along at 5 miles an hour deserved to die?
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    So the riders even if they were pootling along at 5 miles an hour deserved to die?
                    Well, that's not what I said, and I rather suspect you know that.

Comment

Working...
                    X