• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good time to buy a diesel car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good time to buy a diesel car?

Would a used diesel car be a bargain compared to a petrol one?

Yes because the vehicle excise duty for a diesel vehicle is lower than that for a petrol vehicle with an engine of equivalent cubic capacity

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post
      Would a used diesel car be a bargain compared to a petrol one?
      I've read somewhere that diesels sell in ratio 3:1 to petrol cars. they have more efficient engines, live longer but are more complex. I don't see this trend changing anytime soon?

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
        I've read somewhere that diesels sell in ratio 3:1 to petrol cars. they have more efficient engines, live longer but are more complex. I don't see this trend changing anytime soon?
        Diesel engines are far simpler than petrol, no ignition system for a start, they are appreciably tougher by necessity of compression ignition.

Diesel sale ratios vary by countries and the trends are published (CBA to track them down), they've sold well in the UK for some years.

Because of the recent scandal the price of the cars may be impacted positively (to us as buyers), but to what extent, take a guess, I doubt anyone can predict that yet, I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if it's as much as 5% though.

Comment

I'm looking for a new car - waiting to see if Mercs have been fiddling their emissions as well...
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
            I'm looking for a new car - waiting to see if Mercs have been fiddling their emissions as well...
            This. The E300 Bluetec looks nice.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Will our lovely govt hit the owners with revised Road Tax bills, to cover the extra emissions?

Seems "fair"

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Will our lovely govt hit the owners with revised Road Tax bills, to cover the extra emissions?

Seems "fair"
                It was Labour that gave us the tax breaks on diesel vehicles.

"Be careful what you wish for" is what I always used to say to the labour bashers who wanted the Tories back in.

Now do you see?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Seems "fair"
                  I'd be disappointed with them if they missed such an opportunity
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    This. The E300 Bluetec looks nice.
                    Not all agree
                    E300 Bluetec Hybrid HV63GWG

This has got to be the worst car I have ever had the misfortune to have and I've had a few dogs on my time. It has spent more time with the dealer than on the road since I bought it new last year. Drivetrain problems battery problems software problems you name it I've had it. In fact I've had it with this car. The dealership isn't much better 60 days it was in for last time while they tried to locate a fault with the hybrid battery (car wouldn't start on electric power which is the only way to start the car ) I asked them to fix a few other minor niggles while it was there and we forgot was there answer when I picked it up. In for service now and asked again about fixing the interior lights again 4th time of asking to be told we need to order the parts again hang on weren't they ordered last time but you forgot to fit them.
                    My E220 coupé is up for replacement - but I'm a tad bored with Merc - I pulled into a restaurant in Spain this year and it was kerb to kerb Merc cabriolets saloons and coupés - I've also noticed that around Kent they are soooo common - seems like they have become as ubiquitous as Fords

So contenders for the next car are - in no particular order ( and definately won't be in white - also is it just me that think alloys should only ever be silver - never black?):

Yawn !
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X