• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Amazing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing

Isn't it funny how they suddenly want to admit the truth?

Andy Burnham set to open up major split at top of Labour | Daily Mail Online

Mr Burnham, by contrast, today insisted that 'to win back the voters we lost to UKIP', Labour must change its approach to immigration.

He told delegates in Brighton: 'In places, a free market in labour benefits private companies more than people and communities. Labour hasn't faced up to that and that's why we look out of touch.

'The truth is that free movement on the current rules is widening inequality. It has built the economic power of the big cities and that is good.

'But it has made life harder for people in our poorest communities, where wages have been undercut and job security lost.'
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Isn't it funny how they suddenly want to admit the truth?

Andy Burnham set to open up major split at top of Labour | Daily Mail Online
    And the same wonker was banging on about taking more refugees in.

As MF says, Hope he takes a slip in the shower soon.

Comment

But I don't understand, how can wages in poorer areas be undercut by immigration, when we're constantly being told how much they add to the economy and how much additional net tax they pay?

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
        And the same wonker was banging on about taking more refugees in.
        Refugees are a tiny part of immigration. You could be tougher on immigration while still accepting more refugees.

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        But I don't understand how can wages in poorer areas be undercut by immigration, when we're constantly being told how much they add to the economy and how much additional net tax they pay?
        Because your village/sector/employer is one datapoint, and the economy is the average of many datapoints?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          But I don't understand, how can wages in poorer areas be undercut by immigration, when we're constantly being told how much they add to the economy and how much additional net tax they pay?
          its a trick, Andy Burnham has been possessed by UKIP.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Because your village/sector/employer is one datapoint, and the economy is the average of many datapoints?
            I doubt that Andy is concerned about only one village, that would be a bit weird.

Comment

Heard him muttering on Radio 4 about "Putting a floor under skilled workers wages".

It's seems he's finally figured out that letting nearly one million low and semi-skilled workers into the country would drive down wages across large sectors of the economy ... and that those would be predominately Labour voters.

He was burbling on about introducing some sort of scheme where a worker from overseas would have to be paid the "going rate" for a job so as not to undercut the locals.

Completely unworkable.

At least Mr Corbyn ruled himself out as being able to be the PM today. Good of him to clear that up.

Comment

how much they add to the economy
                They do add the economy. But if they add similar or more to the population nobody is any better off. It's GDP per capita that matters, not GDP.

Unless you think it's better to live in the Sudan (GDP $74bn) than Luxemburg (GDP $62bn)
                Last edited by xoggoth; 30 September 2015, 22:42.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                X