• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Those of you responsible running commercial websites

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those of you responsible running commercial websites

I've just been forwarded this email.

Subject: Critical Security vulnerabilities in your website
    Hi,

My Name is Some Name ,Iam Website Security Researcher and i have found The Security*Vulnerabilities *(BUGS) In Your website and it can cause damage in your website there is any Appreciation reward for valid bugs ?

Thanks ,
    Some Name
    Is this common chancer tactics?

Dunno, tell him to foxtrot Oscar and see how long before you are hosting a phishing website and your domain hits a global spam black list. HTH
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The fact that you have a commercial website is a "fortunate" coincidence.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by zazou View Post

Ignore it.
        unless you have asked for someone to check your site its spam.

Comment

Report it as a phishing attempt and then ignore. Don't reply as it only confirms to the sender the validity of your email address.

Comment

Check your server authlog and be amazed at the number of bots on Chinese IP's trying to guess the root password......

Comment

I've had a simple Wordpress site live for two months or so, Jetpack reports that it's stopped over 2500 auth attempts already.

Comment

Originally posted by zazou View Post

I have emails spamming me once every few weeks , saying something like yours, or trying to sell me seo or other bulltulip. even logging on website to use support to try to sell me something via internal mailing system. I have never replied to them , and nobody ever hacked my website either (or at least i dont know)

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                  I have emails spamming me once every few weeks , saying something like yours, or trying to sell me seo or other bulltulip. even logging on website to use support to try to sell me something via internal mailing system. I have never replied to them , and nobody ever hacked my website either (or at least i dont know)
                  Somebody exploited an ntp hole on the aLom on my colo'd box, turned out I was the relay of a fair amount of havoc!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Somebody exploited an ntp hole on the aLom on my colo'd box, turned out I was the relay of a fair amount of havoc!
                    I have no idea what you just wrote.

Comment

Working...
                    X