• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Budge up!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budge up!

Pogle is on the bench
    Just finished 22 months in London and looking forward to a bit of a rest.
    Contract before this was 45 months with a 4 week gap in between, so not too fussed about finding my next contratct ... YET.

The sun is shining and the birds are singing up here in Manchester, I have a box set of Kurosawa Samurai films to watch and am writing a lit of all the chores i want to get done in the next few weeks.
    Life is good!

I give it 4 weeks before I'm bored out of my mind and heading back down South though
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Hope you are not on the bench too long

Last edited by northernladuk; 2 October 2015, 12:07.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Enjoy your R&R
      Growing old is mandatory
      Growing up is optional

Comment

sounds great enjoy the break
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Welcome! Grab yourself a brew and make yourself comfortable

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Welcome! Grab yourself a brew and make yourself comfortable
            This is exactly how I thought in August... thought i had just finished a long contract and would take a week off, then start looking. Ever since then, it has been 6 weeks.

20 calls so far, no interviews landed!
            The market is horrible from what i have seen so far.

The agents are not being truthful too - Yesterday there was an agent who said a hot role was out there and discussed it with me, and said he was going to go back into a meeting right away, and in 35 minutes he will send me an email of the job spec.
            Ever since that, Nothing!
            It will be 35 hours in about few hours, and he is gone into "void"
            He could have very well said nothing! Wonder why he said 35 minute, and he will be back

Not that i am depending on him only.. but its just that when they know the market is pants, the least they can do is to not give some silly assurances to send job spec etc. at least when they know they are never going to come back on that!

@OP - Not trying to scare you or spoil your holiday mood , but I don't want you too to be in the same position as I am now, in couple of weeks down the line, especially since it will be November time when you are planning to look for work again.

The agents are telling that if no contracts are signed off this month, don't expect anything to happen until early Feb 16

Just my 2 pence...

Anyway, forget about all that i said please, and do enjoy your holidays!
            You deserve it, especially after a long contract!

Just keep your ears open for any new work right from now, that is all!
            Last edited by Milkyway; 1 October 2015, 16:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
              Pogle is on the bench
              Just finished 22 months in London and looking forward to a bit of a rest.
              Contract before this was 45 months with a 4 week gap in between, so not too fussed about finding my next contratct ... YET.

The sun is shining and the birds are singing up here in Manchester, I have a box set of Kurosawa Samurai films to watch and am writing a lit of all the chores i want to get done in the next few weeks.
              Life is good!

I give it 4 weeks before I'm bored out of my mind and heading back down South though
              Yay. Take it easy m'dear
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Milkyway View Post
                This is exactly how I thought in August... thought i had just finished a long contract and would take a week off, then start looking. Ever since then, it has been 6 weeks.

20 calls so far, no interviews landed!
                The market is horrible from what i have seen so far.

The agents are not being truthful too - Yesterday there was an agent who said a hot role was out there and discussed it with me, and said he was going to go back into a meeting right away, and in 35 minutes he will send me an email of the job spec.
                Ever since that, Nothing!
                It will be 35 hours in about few hours, and he is gone into "void"
                He could have very well said nothing! Wonder why he said 35 minute, and he will be back

Not that i am depending on him only.. but its just that when they know the market is pants, the least they can do is to not give some silly assurances to send job spec etc. at least when they know they are never going to come back on that!

@OP - Not trying to scare you or spoil your holiday mood , but I don't want you too to be in the same position as I am now, in couple of weeks down the line, especially since it will be November time when you are planning to look for work again.

The agents are telling that if no contracts are signed off this month, don't expect anything to happen until early Feb 16

Just my 2 pence...

Anyway, forget about all that i said please, and do enjoy your holidays!
                You deserve it, especially after a long contract!

Err....
                Good advice Milky Way. One thing always troubled me tho.
                You know that fluff in yer belly button ?

Where does that come from ?
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Milkyway View Post

<SNIP>

From the tone of your post I'm assuming you haven’t been doing this long have you?
                  Most of what agents say can be ignored apart from details about the interview they want you to go on or the start date.
                  You need a thick skin to be a contractor.
                  The longest I've spent on the bench is 8 months in 2008, I'm sorry you're finding it a bit quiet out there.
                  The market for my (niche) skill set is quite buoyant, but I can hold out for about 6 months if I need to and if the worst comes to the worst I could always get a permie job with a consultancy

Good luck!

CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    Yay. Take it easy m'dear
                    Hello Sweetie