• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Peeple App lifespan: Do bookies take bets on this kind of thing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peeple App lifespan: Do bookies take bets on this kind of thing?

Peeple app for rating human beings causes uproar - BBC News

I'd put a tenner on 9 months.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

It would amuse me greatly if it doesn't even make it past the Apple app store review team due to "objectional content". If only to show how ridiculous these "pre-launch valuations" are.

Comment

What a ludicrous concept, as mentioned in the article it's just a licence to troll.

However, users will not be able to delete comments made about them. Nor will they be able to remove themselves from the site once on it.
      Won't the EU ruling on the Right to be Forgotten scupper this element completely?

It's not planned for a 1st of April release or anything is it?

Comment

November apparently.

I was going to say 3 months, but allowing for the blithe idiotic optimism of the owners and the time it will take to get a few bullied people together for some lawyer-loving class-action type thing, I make it 9 months.

But you're right TM, the 'Right to Be Forgotten' might kick it into touch immediately.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

It's not just RTBF that'll screw it, at least in the UK. Our libel laws, though no longer offering the jackpot payouts of a couple of decades ago, are much tougher and easier to build a case on than those in the USA. The Register thus wasn't quite right in calling it "Slander As A Service", but I think they deserve some slack on the grounds of alliteration

There's also the Data Protection Act. Basically, that would shut them down before they've even started, as by definition their process allows - nay, requires - people to enter personally identifying information about others, without their consent, and make it public. That will never fly, not just in the UK but throughout the EU, as far as I know.

And there's the appalling PR from the utter pasting they've been receiving on social media all day.

I give it Monday at the latest before they announce a major rethink, probably trying to make out it's everybody else's fault at the same time.

One final point:

Comment

From the "Not Doing Themselves Any Favours" department:
            "There's a lot of misunderstandings of the way the app actually works," Cordray says. "We have more integrity features and more accountability features built in than most online ratings systems today. I can appreciate, when people found out the world was actually round and not flat, and that we revolved around the sun instead of the sun revolving around us, there was tons of fear and uproar. We need to keep in mind that with any new concept and any new idea, there's always going to be some fear and some concern."

I say again:

Comment

Hence 9 months.

Comment

Irony: Woman makes app that lets people rate and review you, Yelp-style. Now SHE'S upset people are 'reviewing' her
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Complete arseholes excited by prospect of ‘Yelp for people’

What sort of world would it be if we were all honest? Like CUK general?

Where can we rate the people who came up with this app?

Where can we rate the CUK moderators?

Comment

I almost spat my coffee out at this comment:

i do hope all the exploitative, money grubbing, race to the bottom, scum sucking, tulip for brains, twats who thought creating and funding this invitation to abuse was a good idea, lose every penny
                    then i'd like them to slip in the street and land in a large steaming turd, not be injured, but as they lay reeking, get pissed on by people passing by who mistake the steam for smoke and are therefore being positive in their output

Comment

Working...
                    X