• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How far would you go to get a grocery bargain?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far would you go to get a grocery bargain?

My wife is fairly shameless - when she sees the man wondering around the supermarket marking down stuff approaching its sell-by date, she will grab what she wants off the shelf and take it to him, to ask him to for a further reduction. She always gets it.

Last night (and today) we are having deboned and stuffed roast leg of lamb, marked down from £10 to £3 at Waitrose.

However my wife's shamelessness is nothing compared to one of our neighbours, a Chinese lady from Hong Kong, who, according to the supermarket guy, has three freezers at home and his mobile phone number, on which she contacts him to facilitate her bargain-hunting.

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
    Last night (and today) we are having deboned and stuffed roast leg of lamb, marked down from £10 to £3 at Waitrose.
    I shall have to start shopping at Waitrose. At my local 'mart a 10 pound item would be marked down to no less than 8.99 until at least 19:00 on day of sell-by.

tim

Comment

Waitrose is a rip off - I know because I pick my rye bread there every week, the only thing I buy there: much better choice in Morrisons and prices are more than reasonable (just above ASDA I'd say, but the latter is sh1t).

You have good wife btw - she saves you money, what more do you want from her - buying beef for £20 only because it has got designer label on it?

Comment

Many time my wife in Russia would queue for many hours. Sometime 20 hours for one potato. Oh we would have feast. Then she met IT Contractor who buy her through RussianWifeForSale.Com and she come England to live with him. I wonder if he post on here?

AtW
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I remember food being rationed in 1992: they issued vouchers for stuff (unless otherwise said it is for the whole month): 10 eggs, 1 kg of meat, 1 bottle of vodka, bread I thikn was 400 gramms per day.

Comment

I remember once in Denmark Beluga Caviar was rationed to only £10000 worth per day. How can anyone survive on that???

Threaded.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
              My wife is fairly shameless - when she sees the man wondering around the supermarket marking down stuff approaching its sell-by date, she will grab what she wants off the shelf and take it to him, to ask him to for a further reduction. She always gets it.

However my wife's shamelessness is nothing compared to one of our neighbours, a Chinese lady from Hong Kong, who, according to the supermarket guy, has three freezers at home and his mobile phone number, on which she contacts him to facilitate her bargain-hunting.

I often get bargins like reduced price salmon etc, and also some reduced priced multi-buy items; because of the multibuys; the bill ends up with a minus. Being wise to this I oten put a bottle or two of wine through so it makes a it up to a plus £1.20 or near.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                I remember food being rationed in 1992: they issued vouchers for stuff (unless otherwise said it is for the whole month): 10 eggs, 1 kg of meat, 1 bottle of vodka, bread I thikn was 400 gramms per day.
                ONLY ONE BOTTLE OF VODKA!

There must have been uproar
                Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Originally posted by wc2
                  There must have been uproar
                  By that time people learnt how to drink methanol, brake fluid and anything that smells of spirit. Of course some got blind and died, but one may say it was natural selection.

The uproar about one bottle of vodka per month did not materialise also because a lot of crap jobs were traditionally done for a bottle of vodka - say plumbers used to be the worst kind of profession and only most stupid would do, normal price was bottle of vodka. Not so in thie country - one guy who was plumber on my ex street had small van with his plumbing company name and best car on the street.

Comment

I used to work near a big Sainsbury's and at about 2pm each afternoon they would do the final mark downs for the day. Needless to say, I'd take a late lunch break and get, say, a whole Gressingham duck for £2.50 or a Rogan Josh for £1.
                    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Working...
                    X