• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If the cap fits...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the cap fits...

Right-wingers think they are morally superior, study shows Right-wingers think they are morally superior, study shows

Makes sense
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Is it a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      Right-wingers think they are morally superior, study shows Right-wingers think they are morally superior, study shows

Makes sense
      We are
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

We are
        Indeed. Maybe right wingers are just answering the question correctly because they tend to be more successful as a result of their own abilities. Morality has nowt to do with it.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

If you mean economically right/left, then yes - of course they are. Forced leftism is evil. Voluntary leftism is immoral on a personal level.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
            If you mean economically right/left, then yes - of course they are. Forced leftism is evil. Voluntary leftism is immoral on a personal level.
            What if it's a career choice, ie - they get paid to be a leftie?

Comment

Mind you "right winger" and "left winger" are both pretty daft blanket categories. I'm only a righty because I believe in a free market economy, merit and the positive aspects of nationalism. On most social issues like equal rights, gay marriage, crime and punishment (and fox hunting!) I prefer the "lefty" view. Always a problem at elections.

Sure many others don't fall into this simplistic left/right category on all issues either.

PS And there is of course a strong link between "right wing" and religion. The bollux of morality. It is not so much the political views as religious ones that shape attitudes.
              Last edited by xoggoth; 2 October 2015, 20:15.
              bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                like equal rights, gay marriage
                point highlighted by the fact that I don't know whether you mean supporting gay marriage is lefty, or that you support the idea of forcing religious institutions to marry gay people is lefty?

I'd say that if you think gay marriage is no problem is good, AND that you think forcing religious institutions to endorse it is bad, then that's right wing. But many would not agree.

Comment

Quite. Definitions are such simplifications. Probably the only official distinction is economic, i.e. do you believe in merit or equality? The rest of it is all very blurred. Stalin was rather keen on promoting national culture and was not too keen on Jews either, supposedly right wing traits.

PS No, I don't believe in forcing views on people generally. Religion is crap but, provided beliefs don't greatly impact others - gays can get married elsewhere, people should be able to hold and express them. Rights should be about balance, not one person's trumping another's.
                  Last edited by xoggoth; 2 October 2015, 21:20.
                  bloggoth

Comment

I don't believe in anything that is forced on others by petty jealousy and bigotry which is why I support fox hunting
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X