• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain's super-rich cash in on low interest rates with £1m mortgages

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain's super-rich cash in on low interest rates with £1m mortgages

"Britain’s property bubble has created a new phenomenon: the rise of the £1m mortgage.

Figures obtained by the Guardian reveal how in the last year the number of £1m-plus mortgages granted by the major mortgage lenders has jumped by nearly a fifth, while one in 14 borrowers now have mortgages of more than £500,000.

Nationwide building society disclosed that it has 269 customers who have taken out mortgages of more than £1m, compared with 167 this time last year. NatWest, owned by Royal Bank of Scotland, said it granted 233 mortgages of more than £1m in 2014, and so far this year has issued another 207. It expects to finish 2015 with lending in this bracket up by 18%.

Financial regulators require the super-rich to go through the same affordability checks demanded of more humble first-time buyers before they are granted a loan – with some unusual results. Ray Boulger of mortgage brokers John Charcol said: “We were going through the expenditure section with one such client and we asked how much his travelling expenses were. He said: ‘I don’t know. I have a plane.’”

The supersize loans taken to buy trophy properties in central London tend to come from private banks rather than familiar high street names. Land Registry data shows that of the 100 most expensive properties sold in the UK last year, UBS of Switzerland lent against 10 of them, worth £173m in total. HSBC, Credit Suisse, Barclays, Coutts and JP Morgan were the next biggest lenders. "

Source: Britain's super-rich cash in on low interest rates with £1m mortgages | Money | The Guardian

Yeah, good reason to increase BoE rates - to punish those SUPER rich buying fancy homes in Looooooooooodooooooooooooon!!!

Somebody needs to tell the Guardian that anybody who is borrowing money to buy a house is not superrich, not even rich if it's £1 mln house in London, they are SUPERdesperate.

one in 14 borrowers now have mortgages of more than £500,000
    That's the really disturbing piece of information in the report.

Comment

£1.5 mil mine
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Mortgages? Aren't they the things tenants pay on your behalf?

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
          Mortgages? Aren't they the things tenants pay on your behalf?
          Only if your tenants pay
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            Only if your tenants pay
            Most people it's their home so they have an incentive to pay. In your case it was an interesting excursion into the lowest strata of west Yorkshire society so I can understand a reluctance to pay :-)

Also, ive got a 'no jocks' sign for the window when it's empty so I reckon I'm safe now..

Comment

Can someone with a mortgage be described as 'super rich' - I think not.
              "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
                Spot on
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

It's like calling Britain superrich on the basis that it's got over 1 trillion debt...

Them Lefties, can't live with them, can't live without

Comment

Depends why they have the mortgage.

If they pay less interest on that than they reliably make from some other investment, then yes it makes sense to have a mortgage even if they don't need it.

Plus it's a way of upping their credit rating. Ludicrous as it sounds, some pretty rich people actually have a "poor" credit rating because their cards are never in debit.
                    Last edited by OwlHoot; 3 October 2015, 09:02.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X