• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC's proposed changes poll result?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC's proposed changes poll result?

Am I missing something (possible as Ive not be up for long!) but these results of a consultation on HMRC's proposed changes for contractors make surprising reading?

26% of contractors thought the proposed dividend tax changes were fair. Answers yes or no.
    45% said the dividend tax would make them change out out of a limited co.
    67% thought control was a more important status test than RoS
    62% thought control would make it easier for them to determine their IR35 status.
    70% think the end client should have some responsibility in determining employment status
    80% thought where the end client had an input to determining the IR35 status the contractor should be entitled to employee benefits
    60% said the change in expenses would drastically affect their business
    90% thought the proposed changes to expense wasnt fair.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Is there a link?

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
      Is there a link?
      Yeah but its to a competitor website, dont know if CUK would be too pleased if I posted so erred on the side of caution.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Fair point...

Comment

I don't think the mods have had any issues with articles linked from that site historically but I'll wait for them to comment on it. It's funny how the comments on SDC in that survey are in complete contrast with the ones from Lisa's survey; possibly because they haven't thought through the potential ramifications of reducing it to this single test and then letting the client decide status?

Comment

A lot of it comes down to how the questions are posed and understood. For example, it plainly would be simpler to judge status based on the "how" element of control only (i.e. SDC). You'd get a different response about fairness though. Likewise, thinking that the end client should have a role in determining employment status can mean different things; one of the quotes given is that the engager should be liable for employment benefits if they determine a contract as being inside. That's a reasonable position. It's not the same as establishing whether the engager should determine status. Some of the responses in that survey don't really surprise me, but others do (70% thinking the end client should have a role). I suspect the question about the end clients playing a role was completely misunderstood and conflated with having a responsibility for employee-type benefits (i.e. engager not having cake and eating it).

Comment

Working...
            X