• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buy-to-let investors: 'Let us off capital gains tax and we'll sell to first-time buye

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy-to-let investors: 'Let us off capital gains tax and we'll sell to first-time buye

Britain's biggest landlord trade body is urging the Government to waive capital gains tax where properties are sold to first-time buyers

Britain's biggest representative body for buy-to-let investors has proposed that investors should be given tax relief on the gains they make when selling their rental properties - in return for selling the properties to first-time buyers.

The proposal, made to chime with the Government's initiatives to increase home ownership, is likely to prove highly controversial.

That's because capital gains tax is one of the biggest tax hits on the buy-to-let sector, reaping billions for the Exchequer.

Because the buy-to-let industry has grown so fast, much of the capital gains tax laibility - running into tens of billions of pounds - is as yet uncrystallised.

The Residential Landlords Association, which represents around 40,000 private landlords, has suggested the Government could "encourage" landlords to sell their properties to tenants and first-timer buyers via tax incentives.

A survey of more than 1,500 investors found two in three would be "more likely to sell" if their capital gains tax liability was reduced.

If the liability was removed altogether, 77pc would consider selling.

Source: Buy-to-let investors: 'Let us off capital gains tax and we'll sell to first-time buyers' - Telegraph

AtW's comment -

Why is this issue so tricky? Why not just put a tax on renting residential properties out where the landlord does not live in them?
    Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
      Why is this issue so tricky? Why not just put a tax on renting residential properties out where the landlord does not live in them?
      First they remove tax benefits.

Only then they add new tax.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        The Residential Landlords Association, which represents around 40,000 private landlords, has suggested the Government could "encourage" landlords to sell their properties to tenants and first-timer buyers via tax incentives.
        Err, I think the "encouragement" started in the July budget with the interest relief.

Now they're just in a flap that they can't bail out without incurring a tax charge on their profits.

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
          Landlords already get taxed on the profits they earn from the rent. This will soon increase to rent prior to profit don't you think that's enough?

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
            Landlords already get taxed on the profits they earn from the rent. This will soon increase to rent prior to profit don't you think that's enough?
            No.
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
              No. I want a free house unlike those filthy BTLs who saved for their house to rent.

I mean they bought them on the same market I could and then charged the same rent as everyone else but its So Unfair I want my mummy

FTFY
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                Err, I think the "encouragement" started in the July budget with the interest relief.

Now they're just in a flap that they can't bail out without incurring a tax charge on their profits.
                Problem is they will all sell to Singapore investors and they all stand empty like the ones in the city.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  FTFY
                  Actually what I want is housing to be more affordable across the board and to remain affordable with tighter lending rules and regulations. Houses should be homes, not assets.

What I don't want is selfish boomers and wealthy foreigners to exploit the market for self gain, in doing so making it almost impossible for future generations to buy.
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                    Actually what I want is housing to be more affordable across the board and to remain affordable with tighter lending rules and regulations. Houses should be homes, not assets.

What I don't want is selfish boomers and wealthy foreigners to exploit the market for self gain, in doing so making it almost impossible for future generations to buy.
                    Houses are affordable in many parts of the country. The focus as always appears to be on the South East! House prices haven't moved much in my area since 2007. And as far as I can see loads of empty houses sit on the market for a very long time nothing stopping first time buyers snapping these up.

Comment

Working...
                    X