• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

where do i stand, legally

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where do i stand, legally

Hi everyone,

I started working for a company I used to work for on the side. I set everything up by the book to ensure revenue streams are logged and taxed correctly.
    I have been working for the company for 4 months with no contract which has worked fine. However the relationship has turned sour with unrealistic demands being made.

Am I within my rights to simply down tools, hand everything over and walk away?

Thanks
    Last edited by superchief; 9 October 2015, 08:21.

Originally posted by superchief View Post
    Hi everyone,

I started working for a company I used to work for on the side. I set everything up by the book to ensure revenue streams are logged and taxed correctly.
    I have been working for the company for 4 months with no contract which has worked fine. However the relationship has turned sour with unrealistic demands being made.

Am I within my rich to simply down tools, hand everything over and walk away?

Thanks
    Have you made sure the radiators are fully bled?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Yes. You are a Freeman of the Land!
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Hi MF

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thanks
          Yes, just hand back the bucket and mop and tell them to do their own windows..

Comment

Sorry, spelling mistakes, i was typing on my phone.

Barring comedic responses, so i can just stop developing, hand code repositories over and cease work immediately? If that's the case then good (and bad, probably won't get my invoice paid but a small price to pay)

Comment

Aside from any verbal agreement you may have had (assuming it was not logged in emails, etc) it would be difficult to prove specific terms.

Can you be more specific about these unrealistic demands you mentioned?

Comment

So working without a contract was fine??? Lol
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  So working without a contract was fine??? Lol
                  Well not really fine but I had not considered this to be a long term investment of time. I was only doing it to cover them until they found a permanent developer. I currently hold a full time job as well so this is not something I was prepared to continue doing. As a bit of history, i used to work for the company full time, then the company liquidated and reformed. I decided not to move on with the company (who would after the previous one liquidated) but agreed to help support until they could find a replacement.

Comment

Your employer is Batiatus, you are Spartacus and I claim my place in the greatest ludas in all of Capua!
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X