• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The next big contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The next big contract

Been working on C#/.NET/ASP.NET/SQL/Azure etc. What's the next big thing with big bucks? Money is important, but learning next big thing is equally important.

Not a lot of rate differences between above mentioned vs Node, NoSQL, Big Data, MEAN Stack etc. i.e. 400-500 pd.

So, what the general opinion?

P.S. on a side note, rates are always mentioned without VAT I believe?

Originally posted by mdhd View Post
    Been working on C#/.NET/ASP.NET/SQL/Azure etc. What's the next big thing with big bucks? Money is important, but learning next big thing is equally important.

Not a lot of rate differences between above mentioned vs Node, NoSQL, Big Data, MEAN Stack etc. i.e. 400-500 pd.

So, what the general opinion?

P.S. on a side note, rates are always mentioned without VAT I believe?

Dynamics CRM and AX are tulip hot these days.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

My area is MSFT Data Platform and BI so comments here are limited to these areas...

Azure is maturing from a Data Platform perspective, security is improving in SQL 2016 with the Always Encrypted capability and enhancements to TDE. I see a lot of value in providing hybrid data platforms for clients with DR in the cloud and live systems on-premise.

From a BI perspective Azure is again maturing, the PowerBI stack will be the method of delivering BI anywhere at any time. This is assuming of course that companies know how to take advantage of the information being surfaced.

Big Data is total b*ll*cks. 99% of my clients have barely started to understand the data assets they already have, let alone incorporating big data into their BI journey. Barring those niche scenarios where Big Data makes sense, most implementations are the whims of CIOs so they've got something to big themselves up about with their mates on the golf course.

I'd concentrate on the cloud technologies (any vendor really, whatever your personal poison happens to be), but from a hybrid perspective whereby you add value by providing better HA and DR for businesses that currently have a deficiency in the area, and surfacing on-premise solutions via extending AD, enabling SSO and allowing more flexibility in terms of workforce access to systems.

2p worth.
      Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
        Dynamics CRM and AX are tulip hot these days.
        Actually have done AX, but left it long time ago. Not sure if ever would want to go back to it.

Comment

My general opinion is that above about 500 to 600 p.d, depending on location, it's more about specific industry knowledge than pure technical skills/tools.

So for example, if you want to earn £900+ p.d, you would need to be good at some techie thing, but have finance knowledge, such as quant, or some interbank API like FIX.
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
          X