• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cycling, the new way to extend your lifespan (hardly new of course).

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cycling, the new way to extend your lifespan (hardly new of course).

Dutch cyclists have longer lives say researchers - BBC News

I can possibly see this for the Dutch, relatively flat country, long history of cycling used as a mean of transport by a lot of the population and of course some areas have long established cycle paths.

Transplant that to the UK and well, it's more likely to be life shortening with the behaviours visible, not least the boy racers happy to do 60+ in 30 and 20 limited areas.
    For that matter with the hills round here bunging a bike at a lump of the population will mean that the local coronary care unit will see a massive spike in admissions, they will be queued out the door and round the block!
    Last edited by TykeMerc; 11 October 2015, 11:10. Reason: Typo

Try cycling around any major city and you end up choking in the fumes of the cars and buses, I am pretty sure that cycling is not healthy overall without a mask on
    Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
      Try cycling around any major city and you end up choking in the fumes of the cars and buses, I am pretty sure that cycling is not healthy overall without a mask on
      Oh I dunno, enough cyclists using their lungs to filter the crap from the air, it could benefit the health of the rest of us

Comment

Being run over by a car every few hundred meters is not very healthy either.

Comment

Apparently if you visit one of those Dutch cafes then it cancels out those fumes...

Comment

Lots of studies confirm this in the UK as well.

Even accounting for pollution and the risks from other road users cycling regularly has a net benefit on health and life expectancy.

30 reasons to take up cycling - BikeRadar
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Higher life expectancy, thanks to lower smoking, cycling etc will help bankrupt the pension system and result in increased taxation ...

Comment

I always find it interesting contrasting my experience as a cyclist vs that of a motorcyclist in terms of the way you are regarded by other road users.

On my motorcycle, people can't do enough to be courteous e.g. moving over when you're going down the outside of a queue.

Do that on a cycle and I half expect somebody to open a door or something.

I get the impressions that cyclists are considered fair game for drivers and other road users to vent their spleen on.

That said, after commuting into Temple Meads evety day for the past few months their are some very angry people on bicis. They seem to exist as a vast hi-vis swarm and I'm sure the slightest transgression would result in a heavy fist on the food of the car or such like.

Not a lot of camaraderie between cyclists either as there is between bikers from my experience.

Comment

Don't think the UK ever had the motorcycle gangs as in the US and parts of Eastern Europe. Pity. Fancied being a hard Hell's Angle. Mind you, I'd have needed summit a bit harder than my poofy Suzuki GSX400EZ.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Very selfish people - not only they'll live longer, but also they'd force extra taxes on future generations that could call them - CycleBoomers

Comment

Working...
                    X