• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish economist Angus Deaton wins 2015 Nobel Prize in Economics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scottish economist Angus Deaton wins 2015 Nobel Prize in Economics

A Scottish economist and son of a Yorkshire miner has been awarded the 2015 Nobel Prize in economics for his pioneering work measuring poverty around the world.

Angus Deaton, 69, became the 47th recipient of the Nobel, which was announced by Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in Stockholm today.

A professor at Princeton University, Mr Deaton will receive a cash prize of 8m Swedish kronor (£635,000).

He received the accolade for three decades of research analysing welfare in the developing world and the relationship between income and spending.

"Mr Deaton's work has helped transform the fields of microeconomics, macroeconomics & development economics" said the Royal Swedish Academy.

The decision to award the prize to an economist whose work has influenced public policy on aid and poverty, was widely praised.

US economist Tyler Cowen said Mr Deaton was "a brilliant, excellent selection". He described him as an "economist who looks more closely at what poor households consume to get a better sense of their living standards and possible paths for economic development.

Source: Video: Angus Deaton wins 2015 Nobel Prize in Economics - Telegraph

20 more years posting tulipe on CUK and I should get mine...

"Mr AtW's work has helped transform the fields of microeconomics, macroeconomics & development economics" will say the Royal Swedish Academy.

Might celebrate it tomorrow with some Angus Beef from Burger King...
    Last edited by AtW; 13 October 2015, 01:32.

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    "Mr AtW's work has helped transform the fields of sofas, lunch threads & radiator bleeding" will say the Royal Contractor Academy.
    FTFY

I am sure the poor are far better off knowing that how poor they are has been measured.

About time Angus re-appear on HIGNFY. AS a guest presenter.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      About time Angus re-appear on HIGNFY. AS a guest presenter.
      Did wonder if that might have happened at the start of this current series - given it was 25 years since the programme was first broadcast.

Oh well, maybe the 30-year anniversary in 2020

Suspect there is still some bad blood flowing on both sides preventing it from happening.

Comment

Following in a fine tradition of Scottish economists.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

I never objected to Gordon Brown's policies. He took what Badger Lamont started under Major - then extended it.

I did mind him re-defining the economic cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Not to mention:

That said, Adam Smith and David Hume were Scots, so they aren't all bad.

Comment

Working...
            X