• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Payment made to wrong account

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payment made to wrong account

(Did a search but couldn't find the answer, apologies if it's been asked before)

I have received a payment into my ltd co bank account which should have been made into my personal account. The amount is just over £5,000.

It's money which is owed to me personally for payments I made out of my personal account.

Can I just transfer it all out of the business account, or do I need to be declaring it on the company books and paying tax on it?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Let me ring your accountant. I'll post their reply when I get through to them.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Let me ring your accountant. I'll post their reply when I get through to them.

Thanks. I'm too lazy to do that.

(well, I thought I'd ask here in case anyone had an answer that was helpful)

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        It's money which is owed to me personally for payments I made out of my personal account.
        Was the payments in relation to expenses you incurred (mileage etc)?

If so you must put this down as sales for the company, and you should also claim for the expenses through your Ltd company. The two transactions will offset and you will be owed the expenses back from your company.

Comment

The obvious approach is to repay the money and get it paid to the correct account.

It does beg the question as to why money that's owed to you personally would be paid to YourCo Ltd's account? Is the money owed due to expenses or a loan? It makes little sense that someone that owes it to you personally would have your business banking details.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael at BI Accountancy View Post
            Was the payments in relation to expenses you incurred (mileage etc)?

If so you must put this down as sales for the company, and you should also claim for the expenses through your Ltd company. The two transactions will offset and you will be owed the expenses back from your company.

No, in relation to solicitors fees. I paid my solicitor out of my personal account, the defendant has now paid my costs into my business account.

But I guess I could expense them, since it was relating to an expense incurred by my business because to the defendant.

Comment

Thanks. I'm too lazy to do that.

(well, I thought I'd ask here in case anyone had an answer that was helpful)
              Well I spoke to them and they advised instead of speaking to the professional you pay to help you with this go get free advice from a bunch of strangers. Then they put the phone down laughing.

HTH.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Well I spoke to them and they advised instead of speaking to the professional you pay to help you with this go get free advice from a bunch of strangers. Then they put the phone down laughing.

HTH.
                Funnily enough this site exists precisely so that people can get free advice from a bunch of (possibly unqualified) strangers, so your post isn't exactly helpful and is, in my view, overly aggressive.

In this case, the free advice is: no you must put it through your books. Talk to your accountant how best to do this.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

No, in relation to solicitors fees. I paid my solicitor out of my personal account, the defendant has now paid my costs into my business account.

But I guess I could expense them, since it was relating to an expense incurred by my business because to the defendant.
                  Ok, that makes sense, it's expenses incurred (even if it was via a legal action) and it's sensible to draw that money down as personal expenses with the appropriate entry in your books.

Comment

Why complicate matters? Just move the money into your personal account and note it as an error. It's not like you raised an invoice for payment so it's not a sales payment.

You can probably even claim interest from your company for having loaned it personal funds for those few days

Comment

Working...
                    X