• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a car - how do you finance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a car - how do you finance?

So it's 10 years since I last bought my car and it's time to get another. The missus's is about 6 years old.

In the past I've always bought it outright, but today was going through finance with the garage when they talked about PCP, whereby they give you a price guarantee in 3 years if you trade in.

Apart from the APR on the deal, are these 'price guarantees' any good or am I better buying outright?

What does the panel do?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

What does the panel do?
    Wrong forums. Try permieUK.

That said, I paid for my Range rover sport in cash that was lying under my Hatton sofa

Comment

Look on MSE for well-worked figures I'd suggest?

Can you get 0% on car finance thee days?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
        Wrong forums. Try PermanentLosersUK.
        FTFY

Comment

they give you a price guarantee in 3 years if you trade in.

The only guarantee you are getting is that you'll be shafted.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
            Wrong forums. Try permieUK.

That said, I paid for my Range rover sport in cash that was lying under my Hatton sofa
            Old Hack, What I'm wondering is, is the guaranteed value at the end any good?
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

My preferred route is to buy a 1 year old ex demo. Sure its been sitting in the rain for 12 months, but you get a virtually unused car, a million quid off, several years of warranty and very low mileage. And minimal depreciation.

In this way, FLC could have had an Overfinch

Comment

Old Hack, What I'm wondering is, is the guaranteed value at the end any good?
                You should know that.. They will give you a value that the car will be worth if you stick within certain mileage and keep it in good shape... I got a new merc in December on PCP, I take it back in 4 years and get (I think.it was) £11k (might be wrong I'll check) trade in on another car... Or I can pay the balloon and keep the car..

In the four years I'll have paid 20k for the car... The list was £31k...

Think of it a bit like a lease but with the option to own it at the end if you want.

Comment

Ps guaranteed value at the end isn't far off what you'd get for a trade in...

As someone else said you might be better getting an ex demonstrator 6 months old <10k miles 10k off the price... And you can get PCP on that if you really want to keep the monthly costs down.

We did both, my cars new, the wife's is an ex demo.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Can you get 0% on car finance thee days?
                    Yes, I bought a car a couple of months ago, three year old Toyota Yaris hybrid, got interest free credit, paid 35% deposit, followed by 36 payments of £99 and then one final payment. It's not a personal lease scheme or anything like that, it's just straightforward interest free credit. And at the time I'd only been running my Ltd for 11 months, so not even a full year's worth of accounts to show them, and they still approved me on the spot.
                    • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
                    • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

Working...
                    X