• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Don't want to marry but have kid on the way

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't want to marry but have kid on the way

Would you marry your partner just because you had a kid on the way ?

My misses has our child on the way, I don't want to marry though might be something to do with the fact both my parents married and divorced 3 x each ! Plus my dad got bent over £ wise by two of his ex-wifes.

I'm getting big pressure to propose etc from gf and her family as kid now on the way and I don't want to get married.

If I don't marry her do I lose rights to see my child etc if we then split ? Currently gf lives in my house which is soley in my name, she had to sign a doc saying she had no interest in it (requested by bank not me), she has her own property she lets out.
    I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post

My misses has our child on the way, I don't want to marry though might be something to do with the fact both my parents married and divorced 3 x each ! Plus my dad got bent over £ wise by two of his ex-wifes.

I'm getting big pressure to propose etc from gf and her family as kid now on the way and I don't want to get married.

If I don't marry her do I lose rights to see my child etc if we then split ? Currently gf lives in my house which is soley in my name, she had to sign a doc saying she had no interest in it (requested by bank not me), she has her own property she lets out.
    try dadsnet.com

Comment

Stop barebacking girls if you want to avoid a messy situation.
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Are you sure its yours?

Comment

It was 7 years and 2 kids later before I proposed.

Well I didn't actually propose, my daughter got me to do it, but hey ho.
          Last edited by MarillionFan; 14 October 2015, 16:20.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

In this day and age you get bent over £ wise whether you're married or not.

Just give her all your money and the house now. It'll save time later on.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              In this day and age you get bent over £ wise whether you're married or not.

Just give her all your money and the house now. It'll save time later on.

BP, your thread has arrived.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Please don't think that not being married will make a jot of difference to this if it ever hits. I don't think it's on a par with being married yet but the lack of a wedding certificate will make no difference when it comes to divvying the goodies up compared to a married couple in the same situation. It will still end the same albeit a bit more messy if you are not married.

Again, this is for the bank to manage their risk over the money they are owed. It has nothing to do with what the split will be if you ever separate. Need to be very careful with assumptions like this. She lives in your house for a period of time she will have an interest in the profit available should the worst happen. Converse should be true for her pad but you can guess the outcome.

I'm not the marrying type either but I don't have kids so it's just paying £X per head for someone to come eat our bleedin food that puts me off. If I was in your position I would certainly not let the financial situation drive the choice. I don't believe it makes any difference nowadays. Financials aside... What is really stopping you doing the deed?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ok sounds like I'm screwed then .... didn't go bare back it must of split or something, I'm confident its mine, its not ideal as I didn't want one but it is what is now and the idea of a junior is growing on me either way she wouldn't of got rid of it, I have distinct feeling though if it wasn't for the kid on the way we would of split and to be honest I think its more a mater of time rather than if it happens. The marriage thing is coming from her and her family as there are religious.
                  Last edited by ELBBUBKUNPS; 14 October 2015, 17:09.
                  I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

If I don't marry her do I lose rights to see my child etc if we then split ? .
                    Nope you get stuck with parental responsibility if you get named on the birth certificate or apply for it in the courts.

And because of that if you run off with another woman or she runs off with another man, she is still entitled to money so the child can have a decent standard of living.

If you don't have any children the situation is different e.g. you can give her nothing and she would have to take you to court to argue that you should give her something due to your living circumstances.

Loads of people now get married after having their children - it's the modern way. So tell her family you if you decide to propose it will be in your own good time as she would probably like to have a good few drinks of alcohol at her own wedding and not feel fat. Also make sure the child(ren) can walk and are unlikely to start crying at the ceremony.

The real reason to get married is what would happen if one or both of you had a terrible accident, or died but the children were fine - inheritance laws are still archaic. The child(ren) would be entitled to your money but she would not be entitled to anything and she would have to go to court to ask for it. Also they would have to pay inheritance tax.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X