• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stakeholder Pension Tax Relief?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stakeholder Pension Tax Relief?

Apologies for the commonly covered topic -I found a few older threads about pensions in general, but I'm still a bit unsure...

I recently opened and started contributing towards a stakeholder pension. I'm making the contributions directly from my limited company account - believing that the payments would be reducing my corporation tax. However, following some slightly cryptic emails from my accountant, I'm now under the impression that because it's a stakeholder pension, as opposed to a business pension, all contributions are considered to be from me personally. Therefore, I'm not saving any corporation tax?

I asked my accountant for clarification, but I'm stuggling to understand the replies - hence this post!

I only pay myself a basic salary of £8k pa, with the rest in dividends, but I was hoping to contribute more than £8k pa towards the pension pot. Does it therefore make sense for me to start a different type of pension?

Thanks in advance!

Working...
X