• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

As predicted, we will vote again until they get the right answer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As predicted, we will vote again until they get the right answer

Sturgeon will not rule out second referendum if polls show support | News | Scotland Decides

Nicola Sturgeon has insisted she will not rule out holding a second independence referendum if polls produce "strong and consistent" evidence that the majority of Scots want to leave the UK.

The Scottish First Minister said she respected the result of last year's ballot, which saw voters reject independence by 55% to 45%.

She warned David Cameron that cuts from Westminster, together with the planned renewal of the Trident nuclear deterrent and other factors, could see support for independence rise.

Two polls since last September's referendum have suggested a majority of Scots want to exit the Union. With support for the SNP continuing to grow, there has been constant speculation about when a new vote on the issue could take place.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

And they'll become the basket case of Europe. SPIGS
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Nicola Sturgeon has insisted she will not rule out holding a second independence referendum if polls produce "strong and consistent" evidence that the majority of Scots want to leave the UK.

The Scottish First Minister said she respected the result of last year's ballot, which saw voters reject independence by 55% to 45%.
      What doesn't she get, they didn't want it, so the vote for independance was lost.
      If she really respected the ballot result, she would not be suggesting another one.

Agreed, they would become a basket case of Europe, those are the realities if they were to gain independance.
      Unfortunate, but thats how it is.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I would think it would be more un-democratic to ignore opinion polls? no?

Surely a democratic government should be reacting to its voting population? Just because an issue is debated and answered a certain way doesn't preclude it from being debated again.
        If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

Originally posted by Bluespider View Post
          Just because an issue is debated and answered a certain way doesn't preclude it from being debated again.
          Yes it does (within a reasonable timeframe say 10-15 years). that's the idea of a referendum. Otherwise you might just as well have an "Annual Referendum" until such point as the votes happen to cause a change.
          Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
          "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
            Yes it does (within a reasonable timeframe say 10-15 years). that's the idea of a referendum. Otherwise you might just as well have an "Annual Referendum" until such point as the votes happen to cause a change.
            This.
            It was last year FFS.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

So if, for an example, next years UK/referendum votes to stay in the EU and in 2020 a government is voted in UK wide on an anti EU agenda. does that then mean that some made up timeframe precludes another referendum on EU membership taking place ?
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

We don't want to lose Scotland; beautiful scenery, fine whiskey and women of looser morals than even Geordie females. What's not to love.
                I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

If anyone didn't know this was always going to happen they really shouldn't be allowed to vote.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And I thought this would be a thread on Brexit.

Comment

Working...
                    X