• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professional Indemnity Insurance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Professional Indemnity Insurance?

Has anyone ever heard of a contractor who has had to claim against it ? Is seemingly very small chance of having to claim against it worth the minimum £200 pa cost ? Does having it point one further outside of IR35 ?

Originally posted by teabag
    Has anyone ever heard of a contractor who has had to claim against it ? Is seemingly very small chance of having to claim against it worth the minimum £200 pa cost ? Does having it point one further outside of IR35 ?
    If your contract doesn't require it then you don't need it. If it does then you need it or else you are breaking the contract.

IR35 or no IR35 if you need it get it. If you don't then do you think that purchasing an item your company does not need is the act of a competent director or just a bum on seat contractor trying to hide behind a £200 policy.

Comment

Even a BoS contractor has the potential to be negligent.

tim

Comment

GBP200 minimum! Hell, that's cheap! Mine costs (in Australia) more than AU$5k (GBP2K) per year. It's just part of the cost of doing business.

Cheers
        Ron

Comment

The nature of my business requires "real" PII. That costs me £5k/year so count yourself lucky. Mind you, the client sites I visit make bombs (legitimately I might add, we're not talking basement kitchenettes in Forest Gate).

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            What an interesting life you lead, LB, old chap...
            At the moment, business is booming in the ammo manufacturing trade for some reason. Which is nice.

Comment

I've seen a contractor unbox a brand new server and promptly drop it. In those circumstances the client could demand you replace it. In this case it still worked, albeit with some slight dints and scratches.

Comment

Originally posted by Epiphone
                I've seen a contractor unbox a brand new server and promptly drop it. In those circumstances the client could demand you replace it. In this case it still worked, albeit with some slight dints and scratches.
                But this won't be covered by PII. You don't need a professional to shift a box, any numpty can do it.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
                  But this won't be covered by PII. You don't need a professional to shift a box, any numpty can do it.

tim
                  But the client would want to be reimbursed if you smashed up something of theirs, no?

Comment

Working...
                  X