• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B while on the bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan B while on the bench

hi all,
    my name's Marco, i have just joined this BB... i plan to start contracting next year (after being permie for about 8 years).... and i wanted to ask one thing to all IT contractors...

do you have a plan B to use when you are on the bench?

thanks and regards
    Marco

Yes.

Why not start contracting now? No time like the present.

Comment

Originally posted by MmarcoM
      do you have a plan B to use when you are on the bench?
      I am never on the bench. The CUK Grand Lodge sees to that!

Comment

If you need a bench, don't buy it in MarillianFan's shops. They're bloody expensive and they're made of crap wood from Thailand.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinto
          They're bloody expensive and they're made of crap wood from Thailand.
          Yes, but the shopkeepers' smile is free though.

Comment

I've just spent a week making a workbench for my garage.... whilst on the bench...

bloody nice it is too - 3 x 9"x 2" board, 4"x4" tenon joint legs - probably over engineered but a lot of fun and it felt like real work.
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
              I've just spent a week making a workbench for my garage.... whilst on the bench...

bloody nice it is too - 3 x 9"x 2" board, 4"x4" tenon joint legs - probably over engineered but a lot of fun and it felt like real work.
              Pehaps this could be your plan B, Troll? Custom made luxury workbenches.

Comment

I don't often get to sit on benches, but I have to say no Plan B springs to mind when I'm on one. I may occasionally shift from side to side if it's uncomfortable. I also find that buttock-clenching exercises help.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                  Pehaps this could be your plan B, Troll? Custom made luxury workbenches.
                  The notion had crossed my mind- custom workbenches to the gentry!!......I bought a bench vice from a seller on Ebay at the weekend - who had a engineering setup in a small business unit & made beach fishing rod tripods in his spare time - reckoned the hassle was in marketing (as always) and if he shifted 40 units a week then it was a good living - he also held a full time job with Nokia as a model maker and was branching out into replica cannons.....
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I'm sort of on the bench. I don't start my next contract until 23 October.

As I've already got a sturdy workbench, which I built for myself many years ago, I'm wondering what else to do with my time. It's absolutely pissing it down in Edlesborough, so gardening is out of the question.

Office clear-out looks favourite...

Comment

Working...
                    X