• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thinking of Getting Solar Panels?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of Getting Solar Panels?

Anyone here got solar panels?

Link

The Government is planning to slash generation tariffs for new domestic installations by 83 per cent from the start of next year to 1.63p per kilowatt hour (kWh)...

...firms that install and maintain the panels will go out of business — in fact, three have gone in the past month — making maintenance a concern.

So what's behind these cuts? Well, the Government set a target of 750,000 solar installations, including commercial ones, by 2020 and that was hit last month
    I wonder if the government were explicit about these high tariffs only being for a limited time when people were rushing to get these installed right, left and centre a few years back?

The Government has guaranteed energy giant EDF and its partners will receive at least £92.50 for every mega-watt hour of electricity generated by Hinkley Point C — twice the current market price — and that figure will rise with inflation.

There appears to be a political judgement that UK homeowners shouldn't make a profit from producing electricity, whereas international businesses should....
    That was my suspicion all along.

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    Anyone here got solar panels?

Link

I wonder if the government were explicit about these high tariffs only being for a limited time when people were rushing to get these installed right, left and centre a few years back?

That was my suspicion all along.
    AIUI if you are signed up already you still get the old price.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I would rather the whole of the UK roofs were covered in solar panels than foreign owned and run nuclear power stations, especially if we (taxpayers) have to subsidise them either way.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I have solar panels on the BTL, I stuck another £25 a month on the rent so the tenant pays for them not me as they think they are getting the benefit, I could log on to see if they are saving much but I'm not that fussed lol
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Don't forget to the factor in the impact on the re-sale value of the property. Not everyone wants a load of ugly solar panels on the roof and will be unsure of the benefit so may shy away so reducing the marketable value of the house. Depends on how visible it is and all that I guess and yes it's a green way to go but not everyone will see it as a benefit.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
            I would rather the whole of the UK roofs were covered in solar panels than foreign owned and run nuclear power stations, especially if we (taxpayers) have to subsidise them either way.
            But how much power would actually be generated if that were so? Maybe they've done the sums and worked out the money is much better spent on something that actually can produce enough power, all day and all year round.

Neither should need generous government subsidies to make them viable.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Paranoid.

Anyways, according to this ( which I admit is old data in a highly volatile industry ) 92.50 is not that bad...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_o...United_Kingdom

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Don't forget to the factor in the impact on the re-sale value of the property. Not everyone wants a load of ugly solar panels on the roof and will be unsure of the benefit so may shy away so reducing the marketable value of the house. Depends on how visible it is and all that I guess and yes it's a green way to go but not everyone will see it as a benefit.
                Yes, they're not exactly a good look on a period property like an old cottage and will probably be viewed as a negative by anyone in the market for a house like that.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  But how much power would actually be generated if that were so? Maybe they've done the sums and worked out the money is much better spent on something that actually can produce enough power, all day and all year round.

Neither should need generous government subsidies to make them viable.

about a quarter -> third of the houses demand allegedly.

There are lots of things we could do to reduce electricity usage but we aren't

LED lighting everywhere. 90% reduction in lighting load + cooling needs reduction.

Induction hobs, Solar / ground water & space heating. Heat recovery etc

Economy 7+ on new smart meters. An intermittently supplied cheap power used to keep a power station on standby dissipating excess power. Suitable for things like water heating, space heating and charging.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Elon Musk-backed solar power firm blames subsidy cuts for UK exit | Environment | The Guardian

The Greenest Government ever. Not.
                    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Working...
                    X