PDA

View Full Version : Anyone dumb enough to be a TalkTalk customer?

cojak
23rd October 2015, 07:51
Man the barricades!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34611857

Pherlopolus
23rd October 2015, 07:57
I have to admit I am, and I am out of contract. Up until now service has been fine so haven't seen a reason to move elsewhere.

I am reassessing.

scooterscot
23rd October 2015, 08:04
I'm not sure I know what talktalk is. Is it like instagram?

tomtomagain
23rd October 2015, 08:08
I'm not sure I know what talktalk is.

It's what agents do.

MrMarkyMark
23rd October 2015, 08:08
They have had a few of these.

Always put down to hacking, but I suspect it could be an internal breach.
The sort of company that likes to do everything "on the cheap".

MarillionFan
23rd October 2015, 08:21
"Anyone dumb enough to be a TalkTalk customer? (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/109864-anyone-dumb-enough-talktalk-customer.html)"

No. But if you want 4 million credit card numbers and DOB's I can hook you up.

JRCT
23rd October 2015, 08:21
I was a victim of Talk Talk's shockingly poor customer service over 10 years ago and added them to my ever-growing list of 'Companies I would never do business with again, even if their service was free'.

I have noticed as I get older, the list is getting longer.

SimonMac
23rd October 2015, 08:22
It's what agents do.

No thats talkshite

Pherlopolus
23rd October 2015, 08:22
I was a victim of Talk Talk's shockingly poor customer service over 10 years ago and added them to my ever-growing list of 'Companies I would never do business with again, even if their service was free'.

I have noticed as I get older, the list is getting longer.

how is your cave?

JRCT
23rd October 2015, 08:33
how is your cave?

Cold, dark, damp and small. but with just enough room for my high horse.

d000hg
23rd October 2015, 09:53
I've heard better things about them these days - when people say they're moving I always try to dissuade them - but still am too biased from the days when they used to 'lock' your phoneline.

Pherlopolus
23rd October 2015, 09:57
as long as you can do any support via either the forums (no rush) or twitter (quite quick) they are ok. If you have to call them you get the full script off a call center operative who has no technical knowledge about the product they are supporting. If you don't use the TT router and have an issue you are in big trouble!

MicrosoftBob
23rd October 2015, 09:58
They have had a few of these.

Always put down to hacking, but I suspect it could be an internal breach.
The sort of company that likes to do everything "on the cheap".

The do the needful kind of cheap ?

MrMarkyMark
23rd October 2015, 10:04
The do the needful kind of cheap ?

I will revert on that point in due course :laugh.

Yes, very much so.

Was working for an associated company a few years ago. As part of the transformation we were supposed to take ownership of their system.
They did everything possible not to give us any access, in the end I left before any access was granted.
In fact it cost me an extension.

They considered it a "security breach", or something :winker:

Apparantly when access was eventually given, the stuff was the type of Pandoras box you would never wish to open.
My colleague said it was the worst bit of "design" he had ever seen. :suicide:

sal
23rd October 2015, 10:14
Cyber security consultant and former Scotland Yard detective Adrian Culley told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that a Russian Islamist group had posted online to claim responsibility for the attacks.

:laugh

What's next Russian Islamist pedofiles with with one Chinese and one N.Korean parent each are responsible for very bad thing?

_V_
23rd October 2015, 10:19
The Worst UK ISP Call Centre Award Goes Too.. BT and TalkTalk - ISPreview UK (http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/05/the-worst-uk-isp-call-centre-award-goes-too-bt-and-talktalk.html)

MrMarkyMark
23rd October 2015, 10:19

What's next Russian Islamist pedofiles with with one Chinese and one N.Korean parent each are responsible for very bad thing?

Feck me, whatever next :laugh.

LondonManc
23rd October 2015, 10:23

No, we're friends with China now.

USA want to discredit the Russians for killing their troops, erm, oops, ISIS folk in Syria.

Forgotmylogin
23rd October 2015, 10:32

I don't understand. Are you ignorant of the fact that Russian Islamists exist, sceptical about their ability to do this, or their want to do this, or what?

MrMarkyMark
23rd October 2015, 10:37
I don't understand. Are you ignorant of the fact that Russian Islamists exist, sceptical about their ability to do this, or their want to do this, or what?

I'm guessing he thinks its a load of b*llocks and I'm with him on that one.

Bulsh*t propaganda.

Forgotmylogin
23rd October 2015, 10:40
I'm guessing he thinks its a load of b*llocks and I'm with him on that one.

Bulsh*t propaganda.

Probably correct. It's not like Russia has ever spawned criminals or hackers previously.

MrMarkyMark
23rd October 2015, 10:43
Probably correct. It's not like Russia has ever spawned criminals or hackers previously.

Whatevs. :winker:

As I said likely to be an internal breach, of course they are going to say they have been hacked.
Anything else would be commercial suicide.

Forgotmylogin
23rd October 2015, 10:46
Whatevs. :winker:

As I said likely to be an internal breach, of course they are going to say they have been hacked.
Anything else would be commercial suicide.

And I was agreeing.

It's obviously internal, and the customer details being posted online by the "Russian Islamists" are actually being posted by Talk Talk staff to hide the truth. How dumb do the members of this conspiracy think we are?

MrMarkyMark
23rd October 2015, 10:50
And I was agreeing.

OK, fair play, thought you were being sarky.

I apologise (even though its General) :D

Zero Liability
23rd October 2015, 11:03
I have to admit I am, and I am out of contract. Up until now service has been fine so haven't seen a reason to move elsewhere.

I am reassessing.

Ditto. Come across any suppliers that look promising yet?

sal
23rd October 2015, 11:24

It was a bit of a sarcasm, I'm perfectly aware that Russian Islamists exist, but they are usually fighting against the Russian government. Nowadays the Russians and the Islamists are blamed for everything and the whole TalkTalk statement we were hacked smells of tulip and then you get the 2 usual suspects bunched in a single sentence...

Forgotmylogin
23rd October 2015, 11:54
OK, fair play, thought you were being sarky.

I apologise (even though its General) :D

Sarky? In General? At the suggestion of a conspiracy to pin an inside job on an invented group in a made up country by having staff release customer data online? Moi?

Apology accepted.

BrilloPad
23rd October 2015, 12:37
TalkTalk customers to learn about hack next time they manage to get on Internet (http://newsthump.com/2015/10/23/talktalk-customers-to-learn-about-hack-next-time-they-manage-to-get-on-internet/)

TalkTalk customers are expected to learn that their personal details may have been hacked just as soon as they can borrow a reliable Internet connection from someone.

xoggoth
23rd October 2015, 12:40
Used to be but ditched them a few years ago. Hope they haven't still got my bank details etc.

Pherlopolus
23rd October 2015, 12:41

To be honest - Plus-net is looking the most promising - but the whole effort of actually doing anything is putting me off

BrilloPad
23rd October 2015, 12:43
Used to be but ditched them a few years ago. Hope they haven't still got my bank details etc.

They gave them up. Then re-obtained them from Madison Ashley...

AtW
23rd October 2015, 12:51
Man the barricades!!!! TalkTalk cyber-attack: Website hit by 'significant' breach - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34611857)

Only sure way to find out is to merge talktalk and CUK lists...

The Spartan
23rd October 2015, 12:57

Same here, been a customer for a while now and everything has been great but I draw the line when it comes to my details being made available to whomever.

AtW
23rd October 2015, 13:00
TalkTalk is basically a poor AOL customer's ISP...

PurpleGorilla
23rd October 2015, 13:01
Talk Talk has received a ransom demand...

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/oct/23/talktalk-cyber-attack-company-has-received-ransom-demand?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

SlipTheJab
23rd October 2015, 13:04
Don't they get hacked a couple of times a year, joke of a company. They always have a stall at my local shopping centre trying to entice people to switch to their 'better value' offering. Looks like that promotion also applies to hackers as well!

SueEllen
23rd October 2015, 13:06

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/oct/23/talktalk-cyber-attack-company-has-received-ransom-demand?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

..from a 15 year old in his bedroom in Swindon (or similar carp town)

MrMarkyMark
23rd October 2015, 13:07
“We will teach our children to use the web for Allah … your hands will be covered in blood … judgement day is soon.”

Proof - Russian Islamists I knew it :smokin

MicrosoftBob
23rd October 2015, 13:07
It seems the religion of peace has taken time out from being peaceful to claim responsibility for the attack

MicrosoftBob
23rd October 2015, 13:09
Proof - Russian Islamists I knew it :smokin

Judgement day, you mean Arnie is going come back from the future as a good terminator to kick some jihadis around

Pherlopolus
23rd October 2015, 13:11
TalkTalk customers to learn about hack next time they manage to get on Internet (http://newsthump.com/2015/10/23/talktalk-customers-to-learn-about-hack-next-time-they-manage-to-get-on-internet/)

TalkTalk customers are expected to learn that their personal details may have been hacked just as soon as they can borrow a reliable Internet connection from someone.

Thing is my connection is reliable, and has been the whole time this was happening. The box on the wall says openreach - not talktalk....

JRCT
23rd October 2015, 13:34

TalkTalk cyber-attack: company has received 'ransom demand' | Business | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/oct/23/talktalk-cyber-attack-company-has-received-ransom-demand?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other)

"TalkTalk’s chief executive Dido Harding told the BBC: “I will go down with this ship
And I won't put my hands up and surrender..."

CoolCat
23rd October 2015, 13:41
Funniest bit of this has been the "experts" the BBC has had in to talk on the matter. The "Today" programme on Radio 4 was particularly funny, their supposed expert knew less than my little finger. The "facts" presented were just plain wrong. And the top level summary explanation was nonsense too.

MrMarkyMark
23rd October 2015, 13:51
The ICO is already investigating TalkTalk over two previous data breaches, Graham added – one in December 2014 and one in August.

"TalkTalk’s chief executive Dido Harding told the BBC: “I will go down with this ship

Lets hope its 3rd time lucky, then :spank:

MicrosoftBob
23rd October 2015, 14:17

Not until she finds her batteries anyway

Zero Liability
23rd October 2015, 15:30
To be honest - Plus-net is looking the most promising - but the whole effort of actually doing anything is putting me off

Will check them out. Talktalk has been reliable and it's cheap but I'm not keen on incompetence in keeping customer details secure.

MrMarkyMark
23rd October 2015, 15:32
Talktalk has been reliable and it's cheap

On the contrary it could prove expensive for a lot of people :laugh.

The problem is they are the sort of company that cuts corners, I know a few people that have worked there.

AtW
23rd October 2015, 15:37
TalkTalk is likely to have a lot of older customers who did not need super fast services, just cheap internet/phone, and those customers are particularly vulnerable to cold calling from "bank" to defraud them...

SueEllen
23rd October 2015, 15:54
TalkTalk is likely to have a lot of older customers who did not need super fast services, just cheap internet/phone, and those customers are particularly vulnerable to cold calling from "bank" to defraud them...

Luckily lots of old people only trust brand names so many are still being ripped off by BT.

The ones with the cheaper providers have normally been set up by a relation.

Zero Liability
23rd October 2015, 16:30
On the contrary it could prove expensive for a lot of people :laugh.

The problem is they are the sort of company that cuts corners, I know a few people that have worked there.

It'll prove expensive to them as well. My contract is very nearly up, so I'll be leaving them soon. Just need to do a bit of research to avoid moving onto another sinking ship. :D

xoggoth
23rd October 2015, 18:49
Used to be with Nildram, really good, then they got taken over by Opal, less so, then they got taken over by Talk Talk. Last straw was they put my monthly payment up to £20 and I could not discover why. Find BT much better.

Company take overs are a real pain.

quackhandle
24th October 2015, 13:39
Over the past few years I've seen numerous ads for SQL DBA at Talk Talk @ Irlam (all Full Time or very low daily rate so never went further)

Turns out the hack was via SQL Injection? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34622754) Oh dear. :suicide:

qh

AtW
24th October 2015, 17:24
"The cyber attack on TalkTalk was "smaller" than originally thought, but customers' bank account and sort code details may have been accessed, the company's chief executive says. "

TalkTalk cyber attack 'smaller than originally thought' - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34627541)

That's alright then, the only thing customers need to do is completely change their bank account and sort code...

PerfectStorm
24th October 2015, 20:33
Sod asking who's a customer, who contracted for them?

SueEllen
24th October 2015, 21:15
"The cyber attack on TalkTalk was "smaller" than originally thought, but customers' bank account and sort code details may have been accessed, the company's chief executive says. "

TalkTalk cyber attack 'smaller than originally thought' - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34627541)

That's alright then, the only thing customers need to do is completely change their bank account and sort code...

Except this is the 3rd in a year where they have stolen customers account information.

Goatfell
25th October 2015, 11:17

"We know it's been a worrying and frustrating time since Wednesday's cyber attack on our website. We're doing everything we can to get to the bottom of what happened as soon as possible and to keep you updated. Our investigations are currently showing the following:
• The number of customers affected and the amount of data potentially stolen is smaller than originally thought. Our website was attacked, but our core systems weren't and remain secure.
• On its own, none of the data that may have been accessed could be used to leave you financially worse off.
• We don't store unencrypted credit or debit card data on our site, so any card details which may have been accessed have the 6 middle digits blanked out. For example, it would appear as 012345XXXXXX6789. This means it can't be used for financial transactions.
• No My Account passwords have been accessed.
• No banking details were taken that you won't already be sharing with people when you write a cheque or give to someone so they can pay money into your account."

So do you blank out the account number and sort code details on cheques that you write? What do you do about invoices, do you not put your bank details on them either?

As a customer what has happened doesn't fill me with confidence, but let's retain some perspective here.

MicrosoftBob
25th October 2015, 11:59
So do you blank out the account number and sort code details on cheques that you write? What do you do about invoices, do you not put your bank details on them either?

As a customer what has happened doesn't fill me with confidence, but let's retain some perspective here.

Perspective ?, you can here for reasoned arguments in General :eek

AtW
25th October 2015, 14:49
So do you blank out the account number and sort code details on cheques that you write? What do you do about invoices, do you not put your bank details on them either? As a customer what has happened doesn't fill me with confidence, but let's retain some perspective here.

Some perspective here is this - it turns out that security at banks is so tulipy that it's possible to defraud people by knowing things that should be pretty open - bank account, sort code.

SueEllen
25th October 2015, 17:37
Some perspective here is this - it turns out that security at banks is so tulipy that it's possible to defraud people by knowing things that should be pretty open - bank account, sort code.

The issue is people who aren't OK with the modern world. They still haven't cottoned on that just as if you lose your purse and someone rings up claiming to have it you don't give them all your details so they can use your bank cards, you also act the same if someone rings you up about online things.

Oh and remember Jeremy Clarkson got some clever d*ck setting up a direct debit to a charity when he revealed his sortcode and account number on TV.

AtW
25th October 2015, 17:50
They still haven't cottoned on that just as if you lose your purse and someone rings up claiming to have it you don't give them all your details so they can use your bank cards, you also act the same if someone rings you up about online things.

It happens because police ain't interested in catching these criminals.

I walk past central police station and they have a notice on their own police car park that thieves operate in that area, FFS!!! On POLICE CAR PARK! :mad

GCHQ got all the calls logged, can't they run a few queries on the database to make it useful for a change? Should be trivial to round those scumbags up since there is always money trail via banks.

If the police can't be fooking bothered then the Govt should issue licenses to private companies which would authorise them doing what it takes to catch those scumbags in exchange for 50% of proceeds recovered.

MrMarkyMark
26th October 2015, 08:53
Over the past few years I've seen numerous ads for SQL DBA at Talk Talk @ Irlam (all Full Time or very low daily rate so never went further)

Turns out the hack was via SQL Injection? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34622754) Oh dear. :suicide:

qh

TalkTalk chief executive Dido Harding has insisted the company’s cybersecurity is “head and shoulders” better than its competitors in the wake of the massive hack attack affecting thousands of customers.

:suicide:

LondonManc
26th October 2015, 11:41
It happens because police ain't interested in catching these criminals.

I walk past central police station and they have a notice on their own police car park that thieves operate in that area, FFS!!! On POLICE CAR PARK! :mad

GCHQ got all the calls logged, can't they run a few queries on the database to make it useful for a change? Should be trivial to round those scumbags up since there is always money trail via banks.

If the police can't be fooking bothered then the Govt should issue licenses to private companies which would authorise them doing what it takes to catch those scumbags in exchange for 50% of proceeds recovered.

It's all about resourcing. Police cut backs and human rights make it awkward to crack a few heads these days. Welcome to compensation nation.

MrMarkyMark
26th October 2015, 11:51
Police cut backs and human rights make it awkward to crack a few heads these days.

Not as good as the halcyon days of the 70's where the law could run as they pleased, corruption not a problem, cracking heads as they went. :smokin

No wonder this countrys gone to the dogs :laugh

LondonManc
26th October 2015, 12:27
Not as good as the halcyon days of the 70's where the law could run as they pleased, corruption not a problem, cracking heads as they went. :smokin

No wonder this countrys gone to the dogs :laugh

Less crime back then though. Let's have no corruption, more human rights but more crime going unpunished. It's certainly a strange world we live in. :laugh

OwlHoot
26th October 2015, 17:42

In this day and age, a breach on account of that is absolutely scandalous.

I hope someone organises a class action lawsuit and takes Talk Talk to the cleaners big time, if only to discourage corner cutting by other large companies. :devil

(although I'm not affected personally).

OwlHoot
26th October 2015, 17:50
GCHQ got all the calls logged, can't they run a few queries on the database to make it useful for a change? Should be trivial to round those scumbags up since there is always money trail via banks. ...

Has it occurred to you that some Intelligence outfit might have been behind the hack?

We don't know half of what goes on. For example, who's to say that Hatton Garden robbery the other month wasn't also an inside job?

SueEllen
26th October 2015, 18:56
It was a 15 year old boy from Northern Ireland who did it!

I just heard it now. Not sure if it's true.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34643783

cojak
26th October 2015, 19:03
I wonder how many customers of the 'I had my bank account emptied!' variety are going to go quiet now?

SueEllen
26th October 2015, 19:47
I wonder how many customers of the 'I had my bank account emptied!' variety are going to go quiet now?

Hopefully they won't as these scams to be out in the open so more people are aware of them and won't full prey to them.

AtW
26th October 2015, 19:57
It's all about resourcing. Police cut backs and human rights make it awkward to crack a few heads these days. Welcome to compensation nation.

Indeed. Police just wants to issue crime number for insurance companies to pay (or not).

AtW
26th October 2015, 20:00

And that boy could not have sold the data already?

I wonder what are the chances that the boy got Aspergers...

SueEllen
26th October 2015, 21:29
And that boy could not have sold the data already?

I wonder what are the chances that the boy got Aspergers...

Some of the "experts" in the media admitted they where former criminals like this boy.

BTW I was right guessing it was a 15 year old...... :p

lexington_spurs
26th October 2015, 22:57
Some of the "experts" in the media admitted they where former criminals like this boy.

BTW I was right guessing it was a 15 year old...... :p

Well played indeed.

Bearing in mind the number of 15 year olds available to talk talk in their numerous offshore service centres there can be no excuse.

mudskipper
27th October 2015, 07:52
Little Bobby Tables

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/exploits_of_a_mom.png

MrMarkyMark
27th October 2015, 08:25

Boy, 15, arrested in Northern Ireland in connection with TalkTalk hack - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34643783)

What happened to the Russian Islamic group that done it, or, is the boy a member?

minestrone
27th October 2015, 08:30
Hopefully this means an end to the pestilence of Talk Talk sales people that hang around the local shops, jumping in front of you arms waving when you go to get a pint of milk.

LondonManc
27th October 2015, 09:43
What happened to the Russian Islamic group that done it, or, is the boy a member?

Paddy Ahmed O'Stalin is due to stand trial next week pal.

MrMarkyMark
27th October 2015, 09:49
Paddy Ahmed O'Stalin is due to stand trial next week pal.

Hang the fecker :smokin

SimonMac
27th October 2015, 11:00
Listening to the fall out from the Talk Talk hack, and many customers are up in arms that they have lost money due to the hack.

In transpires that they all have one thing in common, they all willingly gave their bank details to anonymous caller after being offered a refund, or put in another way they thought they were getting something for nothing. I wonder how many people would have given their details if they were just asking to check the details they held were correct? I would imagine almost none.

Moral of the story, you can't con an honest man!

SimonMac
27th October 2015, 11:02

Boy, 15, arrested in Northern Ireland in connection with TalkTalk hack - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34643783)

Bloody foreigners coming over here and stealing our data!

Zero Liability
27th October 2015, 20:34
Anyone have any experience with Zen Internet Ltd?

Sysman
27th October 2015, 20:41
Hopefully this means an end to the pestilence of Talk Talk sales people that hang around the local shops, jumping in front of you arms waving when you go to get a pint of milk.

Could be quite fun pestering them for a change. From El Reg (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/27/talktalk_incident_management_review/):

Additional information provided by TalkTalk suggests there are three requirements before current customers will be allowed to cancel their contracts:

You have had money taken from your account without your consent and you have incurred a financial loss as as result.
The money was taken on or after the 21st October 2015.
You have contacted Action Fraud and obtained a Crime Reference Number.

TalkTalk additionally is accepting no liability for other possible expenses customers may have to bear as a result of the breach.

Here's hoping that someone finds a way to prove that TalkTalk have breached their side of the contract on that one,

MrMarkyMark
28th October 2015, 08:44
Could be quite fun pestering them for a change. From El Reg (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/27/talktalk_incident_management_review/):

Here's hoping that someone finds a way to prove that TalkTalk have breached their side of the contract on that one,

Yeh and nothing has been said what will happen when the accounts start being breached, further down the line.
Sometimes, details are passed on to be used later.