• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The creaking sounds of timbers, rope and spars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The creaking sounds of timbers, rope and spars

You may not know this, but I am an ancient contractor. In my misspent youth I used to watch a program called 'the Onedin line' which was a 'poor boy made good in the age of sail' series.

Anyways, I always promised myself that one day I would sail around the world on a real sailboat, under wind power.
    I never got even close, but I am guessing that someone here has.

(the wide experience of CUKKERS, never ceases to amaze me)
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

I sailed a yacht from Italy to the former Yugoslavia once, with spaghetti on my lap.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      I sailed a yacht from Italy to the former Yugoslavia once, with spaghetti on my lap.
      yeah , yeah. and just where would you get spaghetti in Italy ?
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        yeah , yeah. and just where would you get spaghetti in Italy ?
        Fish 'n Chips takeaway's side order???

Comment

You may not know this, but I am an ancient contractor. In my misspent youth I used to watch a program called 'the Onedin line' which was a 'poor boy made good in the age of sail' series.

Anyways, I always promised myself that one day I would sail around the world on a real sailboat, under wind power.

Day after day, day after day,
          We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
          As idle as a painted ship
          Upon a painted ocean.

Water, water, every where,
          And all the boards did shrink;
          Water, water, every where,
          Nor any drop to drink.
          Currently looking at 40+ feet steel sloops to feck off away from Blighty, computers and the great uwashed
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I went on the Birkenhead ferry last year - does that count?

Edit: Actually over the summer I took my little plane (see avatar) around Lands End, and put up the video with the soundtrack to The Onedin Line. Watch in HD.
            As I say in the video, I thought it was set in Cornwall - turns out it was set in Liverpool..

Last edited by GJABS; 23 October 2015, 23:38.

Comment

In case you didn't know

The music behind the opening credits of the series is an excerpt from the Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia from the ballet Spartacus by Aram Khachaturian.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
                In case you didn't know

The music behind the opening credits of the series is an excerpt from the Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia from the ballet Spartacus by Aram Khachaturian.
                I am the music behind the opening credits of The Onedin Line!

My mum used to love that programme. She didn't watch much telly, but BBC1 always had these Sunday evening drama series, which were the only time all week when she claimed rights to the box and we all had to watch what she wanted. As soon as one series of The Onedin Line had finished and you thought you were safe, they'd hit you with a new series of The Brothers, a gripping drama about a family firm of hauliers

Comment

Colleague of mine sailed a yacht across the Atlantic, not without some harrowing moments....

Comment

2009 I was working in Gosport, one of the permies had a yacht of some type, around 40 ft, he rented it out as a side business. I crewed for him a couple of times on trips to Brittany and Normandy. It was fun, but I'm no great sailor

Comment

Working...
                    X