• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK interest rate rise not a guarantee, says Mark Carney

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

" Governor of the Bank of England Mark Carney insists rate rises are a "possibility not a certainty" but urges UK households to prepare for tighter policy now "

"British households should prepare for higher interest rates now even though a hike is not guaranteed, according to the Governor of the Bank of England.

While Mark Carney said the Bank was "focussed" on "raising interest rates" and the right time to tighten monetary policy, he told the Mail on Sunday that rate rises were a "possibility not a certainty".

Low inflation, an expectation that the US Federal Reserve will not raise rates until next year and China's economic slowdown mean markets do not expect the Bank of England to lift rates from a record low of 0.5pc until April 2017. "

Source: UK interest rate rise not a guarantee, says Mark Carney - Telegraph

Oh really???

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    " Governor of the Bank of England Mark Carney insists rate rises are a "possibility not a certainty" but urges UK households to prepare for tighter policy now "

"British households should prepare for higher interest rates now even though a hike is not guaranteed, according to the Governor of the Bank of England.

While Mark Carney said the Bank was "focussed" on "raising interest rates" and the right time to tighten monetary policy, he told the Mail on Sunday that rate rises were a "possibility not a certainty".

Low inflation, an expectation that the US Federal Reserve will not raise rates until next year and China's economic slowdown mean markets do not expect the Bank of England to lift rates from a record low of 0.5pc until April 2017. "

Source: UK interest rate rise not a guarantee, says Mark Carney - Telegraph

Oh really???
    I don't see rates going up before 2020.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

A good Central banker should be predictable, unambiguous, careful with words - this allows markets to price in future policy and avoid big jumps.

Comment

I wish he would make his fecking mind up
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I'll help you

It's not going to happen

Negative interest rates and mortgages to follow

HTH

Comment

I certainly can't see us beyond 1% before 2020. Not sure negatives will (be allowed to) happen.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              I certainly can't see us beyond 1% before 2020. Not sure negatives will (be allowed to) happen.
              When the crash comes I could see negative rates. They needed to go up 2-3 years ago but the Euro crisis got in the way. So now our central bank can only drop it (with very little likely effect) or get the printing presses rolling once again. The truth of it, is that the crash, THE crash of all crashes is coming.

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Is that before or after World War 3?
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

PG I've seen you mention 'The Mother of All crashes' a few times on here.

Your nice charts aside, what are you basing this on?
                  Surely your graphs show nothing but a new precedent that has existed for the last 20 years?

Are you expecting the markets to crash to pre 1980 levels when they have been a lot higher for the last 20 years at least?
                  If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

Originally posted by Bluespider View Post
                    Are you expecting the markets to crash to pre 1980 levels when they have been a lot higher for the last 20 years at least?
                    The expectation is that markets will crash to pre 1970 AD levels

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X