• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got new graphics card, suggestions for initial tools/demos etc?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got new graphics card, suggestions for initial tools/demos etc?

Further to the server thread, I decided to keep my trusty Dell Precision 690 and stick an updated graphics card (GTX 960 4Gb) in for the timebeing, I know there'll be a bottleneck with the CPUs but I can probably live with that for now, (I may have option of dual quad core Xeon 3565 later on).

As well as obviously games, I'm busy researching stuff to play with but if anyone can give me any pointers to other tools, things like:

- show GPU information
    - benchmarking
    - Overclocking (though not that fussed; I'd rather have a stable card than 1fps extra and occasional BSOD)
    - fractals (mandelbulber looks quite interesting)
    - demos
    - HEVC stuff (the 960 has hardware decode apparently)
    - ? Anything else I can harness all that GPU power on now winter is approaching, I need a warm office?

TIA
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    Further to the server thread, I decided to keep my trusty Dell Precision 690 and stick an updated graphics card (GTX 960 4Gb) in for the timebeing, I know there'll be a bottleneck with the CPUs but I can probably live with that for now, (I may have option of dual quad core Xeon 3565 later on).

As well as obviously games, I'm busy researching stuff to play with but if anyone can give me any pointers to other tools, things like:

- show GPU information
    - benchmarking
    - Overclocking (though not that fussed; I'd rather have a stable card than 1fps extra and occasional BSOD)
    - fractals (mandelbulber looks quite interesting)
    - demos
    - HEVC stuff (the 960 has hardware decode apparently)
    - ? Anything else I can harness all that GPU power on now winter is approaching, I need a warm office?

TIA
    start mining bitcoins and see how many mhash you can do..
    but that graphics card is slow, wouldn't bother

Comment

I think there'll be people out there with dedicated mining rigs and much more bitcoin knowledge, than me and my lowly GTX960.
      Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
      "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

The days of mining bitcoins with GPU's are long long gone. They will cost more in electricity than they generate in bitcoins.
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

GPU-Z is the easiest and quickest way to get detailed info
          MSI Afterburner should cover all your overclocking and monitoring needs

BTC mining with GPU has not been feasible for more than 2 years.

Comment

Working...
          X