• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance and criminal conviction

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Clearance and criminal conviction

Hi all,

I previously worked in a job that required me to have SC clearance, which I did. I then went through a very depressed time in my life and I shoplifted once (deeply ashamed so please no telling's off!). It went to court despite the solicitor saying I should have just got a caution. I didn't receive a fine or imprisonment, I can't even remember what they called it - 12 months something. Anyway, I left my job shortly after this due to the depression. This was almost 2 years ago. I am now wanting to get back into work but will require SC clearance again. My original clearance should still be valid but will it be re-checked by a new employer?

I don't know whether to admit it up front in case it gets checked again or to keep quiet about it? This isn't about hiding it, but I don't want to mention it if it isn't necessary.

If it's going to be re-checked then I will have to say something but I'm so ashamed I think the easiest option would be to turn the job down.

I really don't know what to do. I regret it so much.

Thank you for any advice.

Tell them up front. You can get/retain SC with all sorts of background issues as long as you are honest. It's only if you lie there's an issue. Of course, any potential client might, quite rightly, not want a pikey thieving scumbag on site. Then again, if that's an issue, get a contract that doesn't require SC, which is, of course, most of them and simply forget to mention it.

And FFS, pull yourself together.

Comment

Originally posted by barney
      Hi all,

I previously worked in a job that required me to have SC clearance, which I did. I then went through a very depressed time in my life and I shoplifted once (deeply ashamed so please no telling's off!). It went to court despite the solicitor saying I should have just got a caution. I didn't receive a fine or imprisonment, I can't even remember what they called it - 12 months something. Anyway, I left my job shortly after this due to the depression. This was almost 2 years ago. I am now wanting to get back into work but will require SC clearance again. My original clearance should still be valid but will it be re-checked by a new employer?

I don't know whether to admit it up front in case it gets checked again or to keep quiet about it? This isn't about hiding it, but I don't want to mention it if it isn't necessary.

If it's going to be re-checked then I will have to say something but I'm so ashamed I think the easiest option would be to turn the job down.

Career change rick?
      whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Originally posted by barney
        Hi all,

What did you nick?

There will be more kudos if it was something valuable (Ferrari, Bulgari necklace etc.).

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

This sort of question has been asked on here before.

Your only hope is to keep quiet about your conviction to your employer/hirer/agent, but tell the DVA everything. Insist your application to the DVA is sent in confidence. The worst that can happen is the DVA will reject your clearance (without giving reason) and you will have to leave your contract/job. This could take over six months to happen.

If you lie to the DVA they will find out and you won't get clearance now or ever in the future.

If you tell the truth to your employer/hirer/sponsor etc. then they will throw you out the door immediately.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

The various parts of the form should be supplied with an envelope. It is your responsibility to seal the envelope. The client/employer will not see its contents.

Be open and honest when completing the form.

Comment

Wouldnt worry about it. Its not as if you killed someone like Mordac did is it?
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by The Master
                And FFS, pull yourself together.
                You forgot to use the big stick!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
                  Wouldnt worry about it. Its not as if you killed someone like Mordac did is it?
                  What, that crippled gypsy child died? No bugger told me. Anyway, it was self defence.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

No problem there. Just lie to the client and tell the truth to the ministry.

I wish I could get clearence. I have counterfit currency with intent to supply, possession of firearms, afray, criminal damage, grand theft auto, use of threatening words and behaviour, assault, fraud, indecent exposure (Took a piss on a police car, got arrested) and none of the ussual bollox. Never done benefit fraud or sold drugs, grrrr

Wanted in america for cc fraud. The wonkers have their hands full with bearded beserkers so no chance of getting deported there.

Comment

Working...
                    X