• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flight cost as an expense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flight cost as an expense

Hi all,

I'm an international contractor (from Greece) working on a contract and based in Manchester.
    While I was under an umbrella company, I could pass off as expenses the flight costs back and forth to my country of origin (up to 5/year I think).

Can I do this now that I have a limited company and pass this flights as expenses to the company?

Lastly, in case I can put these costs as expenses, what VAT should I use for this transaction?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by apapadak; 27 October 2015, 08:57.

Originally posted by apapadak View Post
    Hi all,

I'm an international contractor (from Greece) working on a contract and based in Manchester.
    While I was under an umbrella company, I could pass off as expenses the flight costs back and forth to my country of origin (up to 5/year I think).

Can I do this now that I have a limited company and pass this flights as expenses to the company?

Thanks.
    Are they business flights or pleasure ? If you are just off to Greece to soak the sun and meet your friends I doubt HMRC would let you expense that.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

based in Manchester.
      Go for it. Everyone needs a holiday after all
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

If the flights were allowable for the brolly, on the grounds that they're wholly and necessarily for the business, why should that change just because you're ltd?

There's no VAT on flights.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Wouldn't the 24 month rule affect this? I'd he's been working in the UK then it's considered his permanent place of work so flights wouldn't be permitted?
          If it doesn't should we not know more about how long he's been here and his tax situation to make a decision or does that have no impact whatsoever?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            If the flights were allowable for the brolly, on the grounds that they're wholly and necessarily for the business, why should that change just because you're ltd?

There's no VAT on flights.
            I would also have to ask what the brolly 5 flights a year limit is about.
            Surely if they were soley business related there would be no such limit.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

If you are a UK registered company carrying out work in the UK and your client has not asked you to go to Greece the flights would not be allowable through your company.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny@MyAccountantFriend View Post
                If you are a UK registered company carrying out work in the UK and your client has not asked you to go to Greece the flights would not be allowable through your company.
                You are not a company

If a UK company contracts to a UK client and sources an employee from Greece to perform the work.....?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  You are not a company

If a UK company contracts to a UK client and sources an employee from Greece to perform the work.....?
                  That is not the case in the question though as he has not sourced an employee from Greece, he is the director (assumed from question) and therefore signed the company up for the contract in the UK via a UK company he is in control of.

Comment

Working...
                  X