• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Passwords rude word filter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passwords rude word filter

Just made a payment from my business account and the password sent to my mobile ended in USUK. Some time ago I noticed a password sent to a customer who ordered a download on my small business site was much ruder.

Some of you must deal with security stuff, is there some sort of rude word filter for password generators?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Just made a payment from my business account and the password sent to my mobile ended in USUK. Some time ago I noticed a password sent to a customer who ordered a download on my small business site was much ruder.

Some of you must deal with security stuff, is there some sort of rude word filter for password generators?
    One place I was at the root password was 'p155fl4p5', might struggle with that.......

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      VMS introduced a naughty words password filter in 1984. You could add your own words to it too.

I eventually found out what most of the standard ones were. A lot were simply boring stuff like passwords that were used in documentation.

It didn't understand l33tsp34k though.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        VMS introduced a naughty words password filter in 1984. You could add your own words to it too.

I eventually found out what most of the standard ones were. A lot were simply boring stuff like passwords that were used in documentation.

It didn't understand l33tsp34k though.
        I got VMS 8.4 running in several instances on this HP RX6600 I got in the shed. Paid £120 for it, pimped it up to 4 dual core Itaniums (I think!) and 96gb ram. Sucks 750w though which is about the same as MF's sun-bed...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          One place I was at the root password was 'p155fl4p5', might struggle with that.......
          Was it a VMS system perchance?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Ah, hadn't read the end of the thread,

Mr ms is in VMS support, and oft tells the tale of the customer with the p155f14p5 password.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Would be system not root then!

Comment

I got VMS 8.4 running in several instances on this HP RX6600 I got in the shed. Paid £120 for it, pimped it up to 4 dual core Itaniums (I think!) and 96gb ram. Sucks 750w though which is about the same as MF's sun-bed...
                Hehe. I've been playing with Illumos and SmartOS of late. I really do like properly engineered systems

Itaniums are probably best kept in a shed. Too noisy for the house.

HP putting the patches behind a paywall discouraged me from trying 8.4.
                Last edited by Sysman; 31 October 2015, 01:31.

Comment

Would be system not root then!
                  This on VAX under SIMH:

Code:
                  UAF> copy system root/pass=p155f14p5 /nopwdexp
                  %UAF-I-COPMSG, user record copied
                  %UAF-W-SAMEUIC, new user record has the same UIC as the source record
                  UAF>  Exit 

Welcome to OpenVMS (TM) VAX Operating System, Version V7.3    

Username: root
                  Password: 
                   Welcome to OpenVMS (TM) VAX Operating System, Version V7.3
                  $

Comment

Working...
                  X