• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Philip Davies MP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philip Davies MP

Seems like a decent chap, good at filibusting, so far he's stopped the following laws being passed:

- deliberately blocked a new law that would have scrapped car parking charges at hospitals for carers
    - one that would have required landlords to ensure that houses they rented were “fit for human habitation”
    - one that would have banned wild animals in circuses
    - and another banning revenge evictions by landlords

I bet he's a member of the part for the people, the caring party
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

I don't see the issue. He got well paid for each. What is the problem?

Comment

"Tory MP Philip Davies who blocked law to scrap hospital parking charges for carers says he was 'speaking up for carers'"

"“If you’re suggesting I didn’t speak up for carers in that debate then I’m afraid that’s a complete and utter lie,” he told the BBC’s Sunday Politics programme when asked about the incident."

Tory MP Philip Davies who blocked law to scrap hospital parking charges for carers says he was 'speaking up for carers' | UK Politics | News | The Independent

Oh that's all right then...

Comment

Ah yes, he's the cockwomble that spoke up for carers for 90+ minutes to ensure that there was no time for a vote. What a

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Seems like a decent chap, good at filibusting, so far he's stopped the following laws being passed:

- deliberately blocked a new law that would have scrapped car parking charges at hospitals for carers
          - one that would have required landlords to ensure that houses they rented were “fit for human habitation”
          - one that would have banned wild animals in circuses
          - and another banning revenge evictions by landlords

I bet he's a member of the part for the people, the caring party
          If you watch a lot of Parliament TV (as do I ), you realise that there's often a big difference between how things are reported and what was actually intended. Take the private members bill on carers, for example. As a private members bill, it's perfectly acceptable to filibuster and this is quite often used (several others did the same). His argument was not against carers, and he spoke out at length in support of carers, but he thought that car parking charges should be decided on a local basis because, as with anything else, a loss of revenue in one area has implications for other spending priorities.

I don't share his politics, but he's quite refreshing (in the same mould as David Davis and others from the Tory awkward squad - the new "bastards" ). He certainly doesn't hold the gov't line and will speak out against anything, robustly, without fear or favour. Better than an insipid gov't lackey that trembles at a one line whip IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            If you watch a lot of Parliament TV (as do I ), you realise that there's often a big difference between how things are reported and what was actually intended. Take the private members bill on carers, for example. As a private members bill, it's perfectly acceptable to filibuster and this is quite often used (several others did the same). His argument was not against carers, and he spoke out at length in support of carers, but he thought that car parking charges should be decided on a local basis because, as with anything else, a loss of revenue in one area has implications for other spending priorities.

I don't share his politics, but he's quite refreshing (in the same mould as David Davis and others from the Tory awkward squad - the new "bastards" ). He certainly doesn't hold the gov't line and will speak out against anything, robustly, without fear or favour. Better than an insipid gov't lackey that trembles at a one line whip IMHO.
            He admitted in an interview that he wants to be seen as a bit of a joker in Parliament and does the filibustering for fun, so that he can get a name for himself. Makes him even more of a
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              He admitted in an interview that he wants to be seen as a bit of a joker in Parliament and does the filibustering for fun, so that he can get a name for himself. Makes him even more of a
              As I say, unlike most parliamentarians, he's essentially unwhipable. A critical role of parliament is to hold the executive to account, and he does that admirably, whether or not you agree with his politics. He, and others like him, also play an invaluable role in select committee hearings where they excel at asking the awkward questions that need to be answered by those receiving public money. I dare say that some of it is grandstanding, but much of it isn't. I don't share his politics, but I think he, and others like him, play an important role in scrutinizing and criticizing. There's a bigger picture.

Comment

He's also made numerous claims for his own parking to be paid for through the expenses system. Apparently that's a perfectly justifiable use of public money

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  He's also made numerous claims for his own parking to be paid for through the expenses system. Apparently that's a perfectly justifiable use of public money
                  He isn't a carer, so the refund was due...

Comment

He's a dickhead through and through, maybe he doesn't want other private member's bills to be passed because his had to be amended. Its a shame no-one spoke for 80 minutes when this was put up...

‘Anyone found guilty of knowingly using a fraudulent parking badge will receive a minimum custodial sentence of three months.’ - New Clause 1 — Use of fraudulent parking badge: 9 Nov 2012: House of Commons debates - TheyWorkForYou - House of Commons Amendments

More crap from him:

MP says minimum wage a hindrance to disabled jobseekers - BBC News
                    Tory MP Philip Davies thinks Fit for Human Habitation is huge burden on landlords | Metro News
                    Sketch: No sex education please, we're British - Telegraph
                    His voting record - Philip Davies generally voted against laws to promote equality and human rights: Philip Davies MP, Shipley - TheyWorkForYou

Comment

Working...
                    X