• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'How I'll make my car pay for my house deposit'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'How I'll make my car pay for my house deposit'

" Young, would-be homeowners are so desperate to raise the cash for a deposit that they are finding ever more creative ways to make and save money. In many cases, because they are already employed full-time, the extra income has to be generated without the commitment of more time.

First-time buyers have been the hardest hit by rapid house price inflation. Those saving have seen the value of their deposits dwindle in relation to rising house prices.

Jamal Afridi, 23, of east London, has saved £6,000 towards a deposit over three years. During that period the average London property price has increased by many times that sum.

His wife is due to have a baby at the end of the year and they are anxious to settle down.

“Buying is extremely difficult,” he said. “With our first baby due at the end of December, our costs will mount further so I’m doing all I can to maximise my income.”

Mr Afridi works full-time as a driver for a delivery service in central London. He uses his Ford Fiesta to drive up to 60 miles a day picking up and dropping off parcels. He usually earns around £1,200 a month after tax and expenses such as petrol and congestion charges. Of this, he saves around £200. "

To boost his income, he has agreed to take part in the “Million Quid Car” campaign being run by carquids.com, which pays drivers to place advertising decals on their car.

During the campaign, companies will pay to advertise on various parts of Mr Afridi’s car until the whole vehicle is covered. So far 30 companies have signed up and the aim is to sell the space for a total £1m.

Advertisers include businesses as diverse as coffee shops and currency converters. The company is paying him £1 for every mile that he drives, so he will earn up to an extra £300 a week just from his weekday delivery work.

Quidcar is not the only company that pays motorists for advertising space. Others include Comm-motion and Street Car Ads. In most cases the ads are applied to your vehicle by the firm – and they can be removed without any damage to the vehicle, it is claimed. "

Source: 'How I'll make my car pay for my house deposit' - Telegraph

Comment

My new company 'SofaShare' aims to rent out Sofas to people who need somewhere to sleep for a night or longer term as a take home for those who are waiting for Harvey's to deliver
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If he moved to Bradford he could make it pay for his house

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          My new company 'SofaShare' aims to rent out Sofas to people who need somewhere to sleep for a night or longer term as a take home for those who are waiting for Harvey's to deliver
          Do you offer interest free credit with nothing to pay until 2030?

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
            How much ad money would he get for his driving though?

How many people require driver delivery service there?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              How much ad money would he get for his driving though?

How many people require driver delivery service there?

Don't know about ad money, everyone has things delivered, people used to get public transport to the supermarket and a taxi back, now order online. There's a big business delivering legal documents.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                He could save on the cost of bothering to purchase insurance too.

Comment

£1 a mile is great if you're doing the mileage anyway. I commute anywhere from 300 to 500 miles a week, so does that mean I can make up to £500 a week just from having some advert stickered to my crappy car?

Comment

Poor guy. Completely unskilled labour job (except for a driving license) but feels like having a sprog was a good idea along with his entitlement to a house in central London.
                    Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Working...
                    X