• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A question about claiming expenses within a limited company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question about claiming expenses within a limited company

Hi there,

I'm new to contracting, having just started a rolling 3 month contract. My dad offered me to be an employee of his limited company and we were wondering if I am eligible to claim expenses (mainly interested in travel expenses).

Just wondering if being on another person's ltd company rather than your own affects this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Tell your dad to ask his accountant.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes you could per the expense policy of the company you are employed by.

Along with usual rules such as the 24 month rule.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, his accountant got back to him and turns out it is dependent on the company itself, and in my dad's case it's absolutely fine - I must have worded my question poorly to him first time round as he told me as though it was obvious!

Cheers!

Comment

You've had an IR35 check on the contract? Rolling three months might mean you might be inside which opens a new can of worms you might need to look in to.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You've had an IR35 check on the contract? Rolling three months might mean you might be inside which opens a new can of worms you might need to look in to.
            Wouldn't IR35 be irrelevant if OP is only an employee of his Father's company? Isn't OP basically using it as an umbrella?
            Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 3 November 2015, 11:34.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              Wouldn't IR35 be irrelevant if OP is only an employee of his Father's company? Isn't OP basically using it as an umbrella?
              Correct, if he was just being remunerated by salary then IR35 would be irrelevant assuming he wouldn't have more than 5% of the share capital in his dad's company.

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
                Correct, if he was just being remunerated by salary then IR35 would be irrelevant assuming he wouldn't have more than 5% of the share capital in his dad's company.
                Which is the can of worms I was alluding to. He needs to get it right to make sure he's using the most efficient manner. If he's outside would being paid as an employee really be the best option?

Comment

Working...
                X