• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Invoicing your mum for a visit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invoicing your mum for a visit

Have we done this one? Former freelancer billed his mum £400 expenses per visit :: Freelance UK

If his mother had known best then perhaps he would have felt too ‘supervised, directed or controlled’ to claim expenses.

But an 87-year-old widow with dementia was charged by her son – a former self-employed consultant - £400 in “out-of-pocket expenses” every time he visited her in a nursing home.

The “callous and calculating” 62-year-old - ‘Martin,’ admitted that he racked up almost £120,000 thanks to the day rate, which he said was what he charged his business clients.

Now retired, the ex-project manager told the Court of Protection that it would be pointless to return the money, which he accrued since being given enduring power of attorney in 2004.

If he paid back his mother (who the court heard cannot “understand anything at all” due to suffering from mental problems) it would soon end up his anyway because, he said, she will probably die “sooner rather than later.”

He opposed a demand from the Office of the Public Guardian that he be replaced as attorney by a deputy appointed by the court. “I see no need to replace myself,” he said.

But Judge Lush, having heard that Martin had left his mother’s £29,000 nursing home bill unpaid, disagreed. The ex-PM also failed to buy her toiletries and chiropody.

“Toiletries were free in her previous residential care home and he resents having to pay for them now… He even begrudges her having her hair tinted,” said the judge.

In being removed as attorney, Martin was told: “It would be hard pressed to find a more callous and calculating attorney [as you], who has so flagrantly abused his position of trust.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

KUATB!
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Found it now:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...-your-mum.html
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        KUATB!
        I looked for recent threads since the date it went on FUK!
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          I looked for recent threads since the date it went on FUK!
          So the conclusion is that FUK get their stories from CUK, but don't work over the weekend

Comment

Working...
          X